Taiwan recalled its representative to the Philippines yesterday over what Taipei calls the “inappropriate” deportation to China of Taiwanese citizens arrested in connection with a fraud investigation, after Manila issued a statement asking for the “warmth and kinship” between the two sides to not be affected by the incident.
Taiwan decided to recall its envoy in Manila, Donald Lee (李傳通), this week, to strictly screen the applications of Philippine nationals who wish to work in Taiwan and, effective yesterday, to cancel -preferential treatment for Philippine nationals to file visa applications online, Foreign Minister Timothy Yang (楊進添) said yesterday.
The recall added a new element to the tense dispute between Taiwan and the Philippine government, which ignored Taiwan’s requests and sent 14 Taiwanese and 10 Chinese citizens — all of whom were arrested late last year on charges of cross-border fraud against Chinese nationals — to China on a charter flight on Feb. 2.
Yang, who had said Taiwan’s reaction would depend on the Philippines’ response, was apparently not happy with the information he received yesterday.
The Manila Economic and -Cultural Office (MECO) in Taipei issued a statement earlier in the day saying that the Philippines “deeply regrets” the involvement of Taiwanese nationals in the case and “the reactions of the Taiwanese authorities as well as the public’s feelings over the actions taken.”
MECO officials said in the long-awaited statement, which had been expected on Friday, that the actions “were taken considering that all the victims are Chinese, all the accomplices are Chinese and the results can be best settled in China.”
There was no suggestion of the apology the Taiwanese government had expected in the statement.
“It should be noted that there exists an extradition treaty between the People’s Republic of China and the Philippines. We also note that there is an agreement between Taiwan and mainland China on Anti-crime Efforts and Judicial Assistance under which both sides can cooperate in this case,” the statement said.
While the Philippines recognizes China and has no official relations with Taiwan, it has been seeking to boost trade ties with Taiwan.
MECO officials said they hoped the deportations would not affect the “warmth and kinship” between Filipinos and Taiwanese.
“We wish to assure you that the Philippines will continue to welcome Taiwanese friends and protect their rights as law-abiding visitors,” the statement said.
Officials from Taiwan’s National Police Agency said on Sunday that the agency has been in contact with its Chinese counterpart to negotiate the repatriation of the 14 Taiwanese.
Opposition lawmakers said that the Taiwanese were sent to China instead of back to Taiwan was an indication of the incompetence of the administration of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), which has been stymied by its policy of “stopping war on the diplomatic front.”
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Gao Jyh- peng (高志鵬) said that Ma has not uttered a word on the incident, completely resigning himself to allowing Taiwan to be treated poorly.
DPP Legislator Pan Men-an (潘孟安) said Ma has been complacent with his “modus vivendi” diplomatic strategy, but over the past two to three years China has continued in its efforts to isolate Taiwan.
This latest incident was an “extremely serious diplomatic incident” that will set a worrying precedent if other countries follow suit, Pan said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY AFP
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying