Falun Gong practitioners in Taiwan yesterday filed a lawsuit against Beijing Deputy Mayor Ji Lin (吉林) — who arrived in Taiwan in the afternoon — for the abuse of Falun Gong practitioners in Beijing.
“Having served in several party and government leadership positions in Beijing since 1998, Ji has played either an assisting or leading role in mass arrests of Falun Gong practitioners in the city,” Taiwan Falun Dafa Association chairman Chang Ching-hsi (張清溪) told reporters outside the Taiwan High Prosecutors’ Office.
“In 2008, when he served on the organizing committee of the Beijing Olympics, he launched another wave of mass arrests of Falun Gong practitioners in Beijing in the name of security, which led to the torture and death of a well-known local musician, Yu Zhou (于宙),” Chang said.
Ji, who the Falun Gong had said would arrive at 11:55pm, arrived in Taiwan at about 3pm, accompanied by a delegation of more than 200 members for meetings on potential cooperation in business and technology.
DISCREPANCY
At press time, the discrepancy in Ji’s time of arrival could not be accounted for.
Falun Gong practitioner and attorney Teresa Chu (朱婉琪) said the legislature adopted a resolution on Tuesday last week requiring government authorities — including the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) and the National Immigration Agency (NIA) — to deny entry into Taiwan to Chinese officials who are known to have been involved in human rights abuses.
The resolution was proposed by Democratic Progressive Party legislators Tien Chiu-chin (田秋堇) and Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) and received support from lawmakers across party lines.
Aside from the legislature’s adoption of the resolution, six counties and cities — Kaohsiung, Changhua, Hualien, Miaoli and Yunlin counties, as well as Kaohisung and Chiayi cities — have adopted similar, albeit separate, resolutions.
PRECEDENT
“Ji is the first Chinese official who has committed crimes against humanity, but who was nevertheless permitted to come into the country since the adoption of the resolution,” Chu said. “This is why we’re filing the lawsuit.”
As knowledge of which Chinese officials were human rights violators was difficult to determine, Chu called on the MAC and NIA to publicize a list of Chinese officials invited to visit “so that we can help the government identify who has committed crimes against humanity and provide evidence.”
Responding to the development, NIA Deputy Director-General Ho Jung-tsun (何榮村) told the Taipei Times by telephone that “the permission for Ji’s visit was issued before the [legislative] resolution on Dec. 7,” which appeared to suggest that the resolution was not retroactive.
“Since prosecutors have taken over the case, we will do our best to assist them and follow whatever they want us to do,” Ho said.
PROVOCATIVE: Chinese Deputy Ambassador to the UN Sun Lei accused Japan of sending military vessels to deliberately provoke tensions in the Taiwan Strait China denounced remarks by Japan and the EU about the South China Sea at a UN Security Council meeting on Monday, and accused Tokyo of provocative behavior in the Taiwan Strait and planning military expansion. Ayano Kunimitsu, a Japanese vice foreign minister, told the Council meeting on maritime security that Tokyo was seriously concerned about the situation in the East China and South China seas, and reiterated Japan’s opposition to any attempt to change the “status quo” by force, and obstruction of freedom of navigation and overflight. Stavros Lambrinidis, head of the EU delegation to the UN, also highlighted South China Sea
The final batch of 28 M1A2T Abrams tanks purchased from the US arrived at Taipei Port last night and were transported to the Armor Training Command in Hsinchu County’s Hukou Township (湖口), completing the military’s multi-year procurement of 108 of the tanks. Starting at 12:10am today, reporters observed more than a dozen civilian flatbed trailers departing from Taipei Port, each carrying an M1A2T tank covered with black waterproof tarps. Escorted by military vehicles, the convoy traveled via the West Coast Expressway to the Armor Training Command, with police implementing traffic control. The army operates about 1,000 tanks, including CM-11 Brave Tiger
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest contract chipmaker, said it expects its 2-nanometer (2nm) chip capacity to grow at a compound annual rate of 70 percent from this year to 2028. The projection comes as five fabs begin volume production of 2-nanometer chips this year — two in Hsinchu and three in Kaohsiung — TSMC senior vice president and deputy cochief operating officer Cliff Hou (侯永清) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Silicon Valley, California, last week. Output in the first year of 2-nanometer production, which began in the fourth quarter of last year, is expected to
Taiwan’s drone exports surged past US$100 million in the first quarter, exceeding last year’s full-year total, with the Czech Republic emerging as the largest buyer, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said. Exports of complete drones reached US$115.85 million in the period, about 1.2 times the total recorded for all of last year, the ministry said in a report. Exports to the Czech Republic accounted for about US$100 million, far outpacing other markets. Poland, last year’s top destination, recorded about US$11.75 million in the first quarter. Taiwan’s drone exports have expanded rapidly in the past few years, with last year’s total