Japan and the US launched their biggest ever joint military exercise yesterday in a strident display of firepower featuring tens of thousands of personnel, hundreds of aircraft and 60 warships.
The “Keen Sword” drills were planned before North Korea’s deadly artillery barrage of a South Korean island last week, but come just days after the US and South Korea conducted smaller exercises aimed at deterring Pyongyang.
The drills are being held to mark the 50th anniversary of the Japanese-US alliance, Japanese defense ministry officials said, and last until Friday next week.
The Pacific allies are for the first time being joined by South Korean military observers, in a bid by Tokyo to demonstrate solidarity among the three countries at a time of high tension in the region.
The massive exercise features about 44,000 military personnel, 60 warships and 400 aircraft from both sides in a drill off Japan’s southern islands, close to the coast of South Korea and in the Sea of Japan.
The US nuclear-powered George Washington aircraft carrier, which also took part in the US-South Korean exercises, joined Japan’s Aegis missile-equipped destroyers and F-15 jet fighters as heavy wind and rain lashed the first day. The joint drills will be much bigger than the naval exercise staged by Washington and Seoul.
Japan, which relies heavily on the US for its security under its pacifist constitution, has been on high alert since the attack.
China’s newly assertive posture on territorial issues this year has also been a cause for concern for Tokyo and other Asian nations, in a region where Washington is seen as an important counterbalance.
The maneuvers include integrated air and missile defense, base security, close air support, live-fire training, maritime defense and search and rescue.
The inclusion of South Korean observers follows Japan’s sending of observers to joint US-South Korean military exercises in July, held after the sinking of the South Korean Cheonan naval vessel.
An international investigation blamed North Korea for the sinking, which left 46 South Korean sailors dead. Beijing has hit back at the military maneuvers, which it sees as taking place in its backyard, -saying to talk with the nuclear-armed regime is better than to “brandish weapons.”
China complained it was being unfairly criticized for urging dialogue and suggested talks with the North would be more helpful than military exercises, as South Korea also readied for new live-fire drills next week.
‘TRUSTED PARTNER’: The company said that it is ‘committed to help bring an end to the pandemic,’ while the health minister denied it was a ‘chips for vaccines’ deal BioNTech on Wednesday said that it plans to provide its COVID-19 vaccine to Taiwan after Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) announced that in December last year the German company at the last minute halted a deal for the nation to to buy 5 million doses. Earlier on Wednesday, Chen said that officials were on the verge of announcing the deal when BioNTech pulled the plug, although he added that it was still pending and had not been torn up. While he did not say that China was to blame, Chen implied there was a political dimension to the decision. “BioNTech
SPY GAMES: For more than 20 years, intelligence officers traveled to China, where they identified other MIB personnel and allegedly traded secrets for money and gifts The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday indicted four retired Military Intelligence Bureau (MIB) officials, who are accused of providing China with a list of bureau personnel and other classified materials while attempting to recruit colleagues into a spy network in Taiwan. Prosecutors charged Chang Chao-jan (張超然), Chou Tien-tzu (周天慈) and Wang Ta-wang (王大旺), former colonels at the bureau, and Yueh Chih-chung (岳志忠) — a former major general and chief of the MIB’s Fifth Bureau, where he was in charge of sending agents to China on covert assignments — with breaches of the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the National Intelligence Services
CONTINUED VIGILANCE: People would still be required to wear masks at eight types of public spaces and border controls would continue, Chen Shih-chung told reporters The government’s autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to continue beyond Sunday, but eating and drinking on high-speed trains would be allowed from Monday, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while there were no new confirmed cases in Taiwan yesterday, the global COVID-19 situation remains serious, so the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program would be extended beyond its Sunday deadline. “Border control measures, including requiring a negative polymerase chain reaction test result obtained within three days of boarding a plane to Taiwan, and undergoing quarantine in a
MORE RISK? Three Taiwanese family members were found to have the Brazilian variant, which CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo said might be more infectious From Wednesday, all travelers who have been in Brazil in the past 14 days are required to be quarantined at a centralized facility after arriving in Taiwan and undergo a COVID-19 test upon ending quarantine, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that starting from 12am on Wednesday, all travelers arriving from Brazil, including those who have transited through the country in the past 14 days, would have to stay at a centralized quarantine facility. “They will be tested for COVID-19 upon completing the 14-day quarantine, and they