Kaohsiung Mayor Chen Chu (陳菊) apologized again yesterday for having taken a nap at her residence on Sept. 19 while Typhoon Fanapi left the city under water.
“Even though I went home to change out of wet clothes and had a short rest ... I should not have done these things. Because of this, the city government left people with a very bad impression. I feel really guilty and sorry,” she said. “I was in Kaohsiung City and did not forsake my duty, but I feel really guilty, I should not have taken a rest.”
A teary-eyed Chen made the comments before entering the Kaohsiung City Council hall for a question-and-answer session.
PHOTO: CNA
While fielding questions from several Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) councilors on Tuesday, Chen admitted that she returned to her residence at 2:30pm after an inspection tour and rested for about 20 to 30 minutes. She said she went out to inspect the flood situation at 4:52pm before heading back to the emergency operation center at 6:30pm.
At yesterday’s city council session, KMT Kaohsiung City Councilor May Zai-hsin (梅再興) accused Chen of incompetence and demanded her resignation.
“Which one of you would like to take political responsibility? One of the two deputy mayors has to resign,” KMT Kaohsiung City Councilor Wang Ling-chiao (王齡嬌) said, referring to Lee Yung-te (李永得) and Lin Jen-yi (林仁益), who both admitted to being at home.
Chen said she would not shy away from shouldering responsibility for post-flood reconstruction tasks and that she would leave it to the public to judge her performance when they vote in the Nov. 27 special municipality elections.
At a separate setting, Chen’s KMT rival Huang Chao-shun (黃昭順) urged the Control Yuan and prosecutors to launch an investigation into what she said was “negligence of duty” on the part of Chen and her administration.
Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) joined the chorus of critics.
“I don’t understand why Chen Chu had to go back to take a rest at that time,” he said, adding: “If local government chiefs were as cautious as President Ma [Ying-jeou (馬英九)] when the typhoon was approaching, the disaster would not have been so bad.”
KMT Legislator Lin Tsang-min (林滄敏) blasted Chen for not resigning, saying that when Typhoon Morakot hit last year, the opposition attacked then-premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) for getting a haircut and then-Executive Yuan secretary-general Hsueh Hsiang-chuan (薛香川) for dining with his father. They both stepped down to take political responsibility, Lin said.
“There’s no point in having people who had a haircut or had rice porridge [at a five-star hotel] resign, while those who slept at home refuse to do so,” Lin said.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very