The Ministry of National Defense (MND) was reprimanded by the Control Yuan yesterday amid an investigation into whether expired munitions were illegally sold to militant groups in the Middle East and Africa.
Speculation about such sales emerged in January after a report by the Chinese-language Next Magazine that there was evidence more than 1,800 tonnes of ammunition, which had supposedly been destroyed, was re-sold by a government contractor to Romanian officials last year.
According to the magazine, the family of Romanian President Traian Basescu was allegedly involved in the sale of the munitions, which ultimately ended up in the hands of Hezbollah in Lebanon and the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda, an Angolan militant group.
While the Control Yuan said it could not find evidence confirming this development, it said the Taiwanese government had no way to verify that the munitions were not re-sold or re-distributed.
“We cannot say for sure that there were no problems,” Control Yuan member Ger Yeong-kuang (葛永光) told Central News Agency.
In 2008, the ministry set aside NT$627 million (US$20 million) to safely dispose of 950,000 expired rounds of ammunition and explosives totaling about 8,000 tonnes. The contract was won by Singapore’s Explomo Technical Services, which specializes in the removal of defense materials.
The disposal, which was originally set to take place in Bulgaria last year, was overseen by two companies — Taiwan-based Sanlin Technologies (上林實業有限公司) and foreign-based Variety Co — which produced daily and monthly certification reports.
While the government watchdog said the reports largely matched the export information on the expired munitions, it added that there were numerous flaws in the process and the way the numbers were compiled.
The Control Yuan said the certification firms were recommended to the ministry by Explomo, a move that raised serious questions about whether the numbers were calculated independently and without external interference because of the close ties between the two companies.
Moreover, documents showed that the certification reports were not thoroughly reviewed by the ministry’s Armaments Bureau in a timely manner, preventing an immediate response in case of discrepancies.
The multimillion-dollar contract with Explomo, which according to Singapore-based reports continues through next year, also did not contain any information detailing penalties that would be imposed if the munitions were re-sold rather than destroyed.
“There was nothing in the contract to prevent this. The ministry needs to conduct a thorough review,” the Control Yuan said in a statement.
The military said it would seek damages from Explomo and could take legal action if any of the munitions were misdirected or re-sold.
CARROT AND STICK: A new program aims to encourage those who have overstayed their visas to turn themselves in before the NIA increases penalties and enforcement Foreign visitors who entered Taiwan before today would be granted automatic 30-day visa extensions, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. The new measure is in response to tightened border control measures and flight bans implemented worldwide to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, the Bureau of Consular Affairs said. “All travelers who entered Taiwan on or before March 21, 2020, on a visitor visa, a landing visa, or through a visa-waiver program and who have not overstayed their legal stay period will be granted an automatic 30-day extension,” the ministry said in a statement on its Web site. No application is required, although the
Passengers on domestic flights would not be allowed to board if their temperature is more than 37.5°C or if they refuse to have their temperatures taken, Uni Air (立榮航空) and Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) said yesterday. The two airlines made the announcement after their parent companies — EVA Airways (長榮航空) and China Airlines (CAL, 中華航空) respectively — announced similar pre-boarding requirements on Saturday, along with a requirement that passengers wear masks during their flights, except when they have meals or drinks. Uni Air and Mandarin Airlines said domestic passengers would be required to wear masks from the time they start using self-help
CASE COUNT RISES: One of the new domestic cases is a nurse at a long-term care center, but so far tests on all the residents and other staff have been negative Flight transits through all Taiwanese airports would be banned for two weeks, starting tomorrow, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 169. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said all flight transits would be banned through April 7. In light of the rapidly increasing number of imported COVID-19 cases, there was a need to further reduce cross-border travel and the risk of disease transmission, the center said. The Civil Aeronautics Administration has informed airlines about the new measures, and anyone who has
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all