South Korea and the US will hold joint anti-submarine exercises in another show of force against North Korea, officials said yesterday, as Pyongyang renewed threats against the drills.
The exercises will be the second in a series of joint maneuvers the allies have planned to conduct in response to the deadly sinking of a South Korean warship in March that they blame on the North. The two sides staged large-scale joint naval drills in July, followed by South Korea’s own naval drills last month.
The marine patrol exercises, set to run from tomorrow through Thursday off the Korean Peninsula’s west coast, will involve about 17,000 troops, seven ships and two submarines, as well as aircraft, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff and the US military in Seoul said.
The exercises are “designed to send a clear message of deterrence to North Korea, while improving overall alliance anti-submarine warfare capabilities,” the US military in Seoul said in a statement.
The announcement of the planned drills comes as China reportedly holds live-ammunition exercises in the Yellow Sea.
An international team of investigators concluded in May that a North Korean torpedo sank the Cheonan in late March near the Koreas’ western maritime border, killing 46 South Korean sailors.
North Korea, which denies any involvement in the sinking, has threatened to retaliate against South Korea and the US over the drills, which Pyongyang sees as a rehearsal for an invasion.
“Our military and people will deal a merciless blow if warmongers stage reckless provocation,” North Korea’s government-run Web site, Uriminzokkiri, said in a commentary yesterday.
North Korea often makes such threats.
Meanwhile, South Korean and US troops recalled the Korean War yesterday, dressing in period uniforms to re-enact a crucial battle, including the blowing up of a bridge.
The battle took place in 1950 in a narrow area known as the Pusan Perimeter.
US and South Korean troops mounted a desperate defense against advancing North Korean soldiers that was crucial in turning the tide of the war.
Malaysian authorities have advised women to wear makeup, not to nag their husbands and speak with a cartoon character’s soothing voice during the virus lockdown, sparking a flood of mockery online. Like many countries, Malaysia has ordered all citizens to stay at home to stem the spread of COVID-19, which, as of yesterday, had killed at least 39,070 people globally. In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, the Malaysian Ministry of Women and Family Development issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18. One of the campaign posters depicted
KEEP AWAY: People should wear a mask in places where they cannot follow social distancing rules, the CECC said, adding that it would publish detailed guidelines today The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 16 new cases of COVID-19, including two domestic cases, as it urged people to practice social distancing in public spaces by keeping a distance of at least 1m when outdoors and 1.5m indoors. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that seven of the new cases tested positive upon their arrival at the airport, four were under home quarantine, one was under home isolation and two were under self-health management, while the two domestic cases sought treatment on their own. The domestic cases are a man in his
Taiwan will negotiate with the WHO about its participation without Beijing’s help and intervention as more countries, including Australia and Japan, are partnering with Taiwan to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a telephonic roundtable with reporters on Monday also supported Taiwan’s role in the WHO, saying the US Department of State would do its best to assist Taiwan’s “appropriate role” in the world’s highest health policy setting body, Voice of America reported. In a Japan Business Press report published on Sunday, Chinese Ambassador to Japan Kong Xuanyou (孔鉉佑) said
Japan’s ruling party yesterday proposed the nation’s biggest-ever stimulus package of ￥60 trillion (US$554 billion) as the COVID-19 pandemic locks the economy in a recession. The sum includes ￥20 trillion in fiscal measures with private initiatives and other elements likely making up the rest, the proposal by the Liberal Democratic Party showed. More than ￥10 trillion, or the equivalent of a 5 percentage point cut in the sales tax rate, would be handed out to the public in a combination of cash, subsidies and coupons, the plan showed. The proposal puts an initial figure on a stimulus package that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo