China has installed about 40,000 high-definition surveillance cameras in the western region of Xinjiang days before the one year anniversary of the country's worst ethnic violence in decades.
The security cameras with “riot-proof” protective shells will be monitored by police at more than 4,000 public locations, including on city streets and buses and in schools and shopping malls, city government spokesman Ma Xinchun (馬新春) said yesterday.
Long-simmering tensions between Xinjiang's minority Uighurs and majority Han Chinese migrants turned into open violence in the streets of Urumqi — the capital of the traditionally Muslim region — in July last year. The government says 197 people were killed. Beijing blamed overseas Uighur groups of plotting the violence, but exile groups denied it.
China appeared caught by surprise a year ago when anger over a brawl between Uighurs and Han in another part of the country boiled over despite Xinjiang's typically high police presence and tight Internet monitoring. After the July 5 violence, the region's Internet, international telephone and text messaging links to the outside world were not restored for more than half a year.
The installation of thousands of surveillance cameras follows an ongoing crackdown on violent crime launched there last month, as well as the hiring of about 5,000 new police officers in Xinjiang.
“You can see more police patrolling and carrying rifles,” a woman surnamed Jing said by phone yesterday from Urumqi’s Hongshan New Century Shopping Center, where she works. “If you walk down any street, you see them every once in a while, often in groups.”
People are carrying their identification cards everywhere and those from outside the city must get a temporary residence card, which authorities have been checking strictly, an operator surnamed Liu said at Urumqi's Torch Hotel.
Beijing labels those opposing Chinese authority over Xinjiang as “terrorists.” Late last month, it announced it uncovered a gang of “hardcore terrorists” who it said had plotted attacks in southern Xinjiang cities between July and October last year. Chinese Ministry of Public Security spokesman Wu Heping (武和平) took no questions from reporters and his assertions could not be independently verified.
The announcement came a day after local officials launched a “Love the great motherland, build a beautiful homeland” patriotic education campaign aimed at establishing that “the ethnic minorities are inseparable from the Han.”
The Washington-based Uyghur Human Rights Project (UHRP) yesterday called for the Chinese government to support an independent, international investigation into last year's violence. The group also asked the government to release Uighurs it says have been detained without charge, end the use of crackdowns and address the issues behind the region's tensions.
“Government accounts of the unrest in Urumqi in July and September have consistently demonized Uighurs as violent criminals and terrorists, and Urumqi residents told UHRP that government propaganda fanned public hatred against Uighurs and deepened ethnic discord in the city,” the group said.
China’s leaders say all ethnic groups are treated equally and point to the billions of dollars in investment that has modernized the strategically vital region with significant oil and gas deposits. In May, the government announced plans to inject nearly US$1.5 billion into the region, starting next year.
SECRET OUT: Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung yesterday accidentally revealed that the infections occurred at the ministry’s Taoyuan General Hospital The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported the fifth COVID-19 case in a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital, where four other medical workers were confirmed to have been infected over the past week. The latest case is a nurse who had tested negative on Tuesday last week, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the CECC, told a news conference. However, on Thursday, she developed symptoms, such as nasal congestion and a cough, and a second test yesterday found that she was infected, Chen said. She is the head nurse of a ward where two
VIGILANCE: While two of the cases are family members of a nurse, there is no sign of community spread and the source of infection is identifiable, the CECC said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported four new domestic COVID-19 cases associated with a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital. Since the first case was identified on Tuesday last week, five healthcare workers — two doctors and three nurses — at the Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Taoyuan General Hospital have tested positive for the virus. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that two of the four new cases are the husband and daughter of a nurse (case No. 863) who had earlier been confirmed to have COVID-19. The husband (case No. 864)
Don Quijote, the biggest discount store in Japan, is opening its first store in Taiwan today. The three-story Don Don Donki store in Taipei’s Ximending (西門町) area, which operates 24 hours a day, has already created 400 jobs, the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) said in a press release. Many Taiwanese, including Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊), consider a trip to Don Quijote an essential stop in Japan. “I have been to Don Quijote at least 10 times myself,” Huang said yesterday at a news conference announcing the store’s opening. “They are rendering an important service, because we cannot travel
‘CONTAINED’: The CECC is not considering locking down the hospital where the infections were detected, as their source has been found, Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported one new domestic COVID-19 case, a doctor at a hospital in northern Taiwan where three other medical workers were confirmed to have the disease over the past week. The new case — No. 856 — is a doctor who had treated a COVID-19 patient together with case No. 838, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center. Case No. 838, confirmed as a locally infected COVID-19 case on Tuesday, was the first case in the hospital cluster, and later infected his partner, who is a nurse at the same