Kyrgyzstan’s interim leader yesterday asked Russia to send troops to help quell ethnic violence in the south of her country, which she warned had spiralled “out of control.”
Interim President Roza Otunbayeva appealed to Russian President Dmitry Medvedev to send military forces to help stem the violence after a second day of ethnic clashes that have killed 62 and wounded almost 800 people.
“I have signed a letter asking Dmitry Medvedev for third-party forces to be sent to the Kyrgyz Republic,” Otunbayeva said in a nationally televised address. “Since yesterday the situation has got out of control. We need outside military forces to halt the situation. For this reason we have appealed to Russia for help.”
PHOTO: AP
Otunbayeva discussed her country’s situation with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin by phone late on Friday night, the Russian government said.
The provisional government — which seized control of the former Soviet state in April — had also appealed to retired police and army officers to go to the city of Osh to halt a descent into civil war.
“The authorities will be grateful for any volunteers who are ready to help prevent civil war in the south of Kyrgyzstan,” said government spokesman Azimbek Beknazarov, the 24.kg news agency reported.
Thousands of Uzbek women and children have fled the violence to the nearby border with Uzbekistan, a reporter witnessed, raising the specter of a possible humanitarian crisis.
The border remains sealed from the Uzbek side.
“We just want peace in Kyrgyzstan, we don’t want any wars with the Kyrgyz people ... But most of the Kyrgyz people don’t understand and we are suffering from their actions,” an elderly Uzbek woman, who declined to give her name, said at a border crossing near the Kyrgyz village of Markhamat. “They are shooting us, killing us!”
People reached by telephone in Osh described an increasingly violent and chaotic situation, with gunfire echoing across the city amid what seems to be a near-total collapse of central authority.
Andrea Berg, a researcher for Human Rights Watch who has been trapped in a guest house in Osh since the fighting began, pleaded for intervention by the international community.
“The situation here looks terrible. The government doesn’t have any more control over the city. It’s war,” she said. “There is no way for a safe passage out to the airport and the Uzbek neighbourhoods are burning. Shootings everywhere. Horrible phone calls from people locked in these mahallas [Uzbek neighborhoods] seeing how their neighbors are being slaughtered.”
Violence erupted in Osh overnight on Thursday when brawls between ethnic Uzbeks and Kyrgyz escalated into running street battles. Cars were smashed and burned and buildings set on fire throughout the city.
The toll of wounded may rise sharply once the government is able to enter the Uzbek neighborhoods, Berg warned.
The unrest also spread to Bishkek overnight on Friday, where one medical official said that 27 people had been hospitalized, some in critical condition.
Ethnic Kyrgyz protesters had commandeered cars and minibuses to travel south to Osh, while police used dogs to break up protests, the Kabar news agency reported.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very