A huge landslide buried more than 300m of Freeway No. 3 near Maling Keng (瑪陵坑) in Keelung yesterday afternoon, about 3km from the northern end of the 429km long Formosa Freeway.
As of press time, rescue teams were still digging and it was unclear whether there were cars buried under the rock and mud.
All six northbound and southbound lanes of the highway were buried under an enormous pile of rock and soil stretching 600m to 700m in length. The Dapu overpass crumbled under the weight of the landslide and lay among the debris in the middle of the freeway.
The road is completely 虹naccessible to motorists and was blocked off by authorities.
The National Freeway Bureau yesterday set up an emergency task force to deal with the landslide. Authorities from the military and fire department arrived at the scene later and began digging with dozens of excavators and other heavy machinery. They also used metal detectors to aid their search for any cars that may have been buried.
One mother who hurried to the scene said she suspected her child, who commutes to work along the freeway, was buried under the landslide because she had been told that her child hadn’t arrived at work.
Television actress Chen Mei-fong (陳美鳳), who was driving on that section of the highway at the time of the incident and witnessed the hill collapse onto the road, said there were two or three cars ahead of her when the landslide occurred.
“It happened too fast for me to see whether any cars were buried. I was in a panic, and slammed on my brakes in a hurry,” Chen said on the television news.
The actress said she was not driving fast at the time and was terrified by the “sheer force of nature.”
Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) told reporters that he dispatched Vice Premier Eric Chu (朱立倫) and Minister of the Interior Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) to the scene after receiving reports from the National Freeway Bureau at about 2:35pm.
The bureau said it could take up to two weeks to clear the debris. Motorists traveling to the Keelung area are advised to take alternative routes such as the Sun Yat-sen Freeway, bureau officials said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA
BUSY DAY: The same day the USS ‘Barry’ passed through the Strait, Taiwan was ending its Han Kuang military exercises, while China said it conducted an exercise near Taiwan A US Navy ship on Friday sailed through the Taiwan Strait, marking the ninth time a US military vessel has transited the Strait since US President Joe Biden took office in January. The USS Barry, an Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, conducted a “routine” transit through the Strait, the US Navy said in a statement, adding that the journey through international waters was conducted “in accordance with international law.” “The ship’s transit through the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the US’ commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the US Navy said. “The United States military flies, sails and operates anywhere international law allows.” The Ministry
CLOSED FOR DISINFECTION: Two of the three local cases were linked to a cluster infection at a kindergarten, while the other case works at a McDonald’s restaurant The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported three new local COVID-19 infections and 11 imported cases, but no deaths. The local cases are two men and a woman aged between 20 and 80 who reside in Taipei, New Taipei City and Taoyuan, the CECC said in a news release. Two of them are linked to a cluster infection at a kindergarten in New Taipei City’s Banciao District (板橋), said Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), who is the CECC’s spokesman. He said they are both associated with the mother of a kindergarten student, who was earlier confirmed to have
BIOLOGICAL AGENT: A containment exercise was held in southern Tainan, in response to a mock assault where troops were assumed to be attacked by bioweapons The live-fire component of this year’s annual Han Kuang military exercises, Taiwan’s major war games involving all military branches, began yesterday morning and is to run until Friday to test the armed forces’ capability to fend off a Chinese invasion. The 37th edition of the annual event officially began after the Ministry of National Defense’s Joint Operations Command Center, also known as the Hengshan Command Center, announced the initiation of the five-day live-fire drills. Yesterday’s drills were focused on testing the military’s preservation and maintenance of combat capabilities in the event of a full-scale Chinese invasion. As part of the drills, air force
WELCOME BACK: Foreign spouses or minor children of Taiwanese can now directly apply for a visa with representative offices overseas, the CECC said Regulations on applications for entry to the nation by foreign spouses or minor children of Taiwanese have been relaxed effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported two new local and three imported cases of COVID-19. Deputy Minister of the Interior Chen Tsung-yen (陳宗彥), deputy head of the center, said the relaxation meant that such applications would be treated as general cases, instead of special ones that are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. “Considering the recent local COVID-19 situation and the needs of foreign spouses and children to visit their family in Taiwan, we are allowing Taiwan’s