The Air Force yesterday confirmed a local media report that a Russian Tupolev Tu-95 bomber had briefly entered the country’s air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Jan. 28, but said it did not dispatch combat aircraft to monitor or intercept the intruder as it changed course toward Japan after receiving a warning message.
Chief of General Staff of Air Force Combat Command, Major General Wang Hsuan-chou (汪旋周) told a press conference that “on Jan. 28 the Air Force discovered an unknown aircraft had entered Taiwan’s ADIZ. The Air Force reported it to the Ministry of National Defense, and also monitored the aircraft using radar and raised the alert level.”
“The measures taken were in accordance with the Air Force’s standard procedure,” he said.
After two or three days of checking, the Air Force identified the aircraft as a Russian Tu-95 strategic bomber, he said.
Asked why the Air Force did not dispatch aircraft to intercept the Tu-95, Wang said it had followed procedures for discovering an unknown aircraft in the air defense zone.
The Air Force also issued a press statement yesterday, adding that the Russian bomber, flying northeast to south, flew along the northeast boundary of Taiwan’s air defense identification zone and only briefly entered Taiwan’s ADIZ.
Because the aircraft stayed in Taiwan’s air space for a short time and Combat Command decided the bomber was not hostile, combat aircraft were not scrambled, the statement said.
The Russian plane turned toward Okinawa after a warning broadcast was issued, it said.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chai Trong-rong (蔡同榮), however, accused the Air Force yesterday of neglecting its duties by not dispatching combat aircraft to monitor or intercept the bomber.
“Any foreign combat aircraft intruding into the nation’s defense territory is a very serious matter, but the Air Force did not respond to the situation at all,” he said.
Chai requested the Air Force discipline the personnel in charge during the time of the incident.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very