The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday apologized on behalf of its chairman, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), after he discussed a public opinion poll on the Yilan County commissioner election, but insisted that Ma did not do this to influence the election.
Article 53 of the Election and Recall Act (選舉罷免法) prohibits individuals and political parties from reporting on, publishing, commenting on or quoting the results of opinion polls in the 10 days leading up to an election.
Speaking at the KMT’s Central Standing Committee meeting in Yilan County on Wednesday, Ma quoted a media poll about the outlook for the Yilan County commissioner election. The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) later lodged a protest, saying Ma had broken the law.
PHOTO: FANG PIN-CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
“Chairman Ma was deeply disturbed [by the matter] and felt it necessary to apologize to the public,” KMT Secretary-General Chan Chun-po (詹春柏) told a press conference yesterday at KMT headquarters.
At Wednesday’s meeting, Ma cited the opinion poll, saying the situation in Yilan was tight and that party members should step up their efforts to campaign for the KMT’s candidate, Lu Kuo-hua (呂國華).
Chan said Ma had been unaware that it was less than 10 days until the election when he addressed the committee on Wednesday.
Nevertheless, Chan said, Ma did not break the law, as he made the comments during a KMT meeting, not at a public event.
Chan said it was up to the Central Election Commission (CEC) to decide whether Ma broke the law.
Ma and the party will respect the commission’s decision, Chan said.
When asked how the CEC would handle the case, commission Secretary-General Teng Tien-yu (鄧天祐) said the CEC had authorized the Yilan Central Election Commission to investigate the incident.
Yilan Election Commission Acting Chairman Chen Yuan-fa (陳源發) told reporters that the commission would send a written request to Ma to present his side of the story.
“We will look at what he has to say before making a decision on whether or how he should be penalized,” Chen said. “But we’re not likely to conclude the probe before the election [next Saturday].”
Several DPP county councilors yesterday staged a demonstration outside the county commission, asking it to launch an investigation immediately.
Meanwhile, the DPP said Ma was setting the worst possible example by violating the Election and Recall Act.
“The president has been quite nonchalant on many issues, including the post-Typhoon Morakot reconstruction effort and the US beef issue. Elections are a very serious matter and we ask the president to be more circumspect and stop setting a bad example,” DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said.
She urged the CEC to penalize Ma in accordance with the law to prevent any “future complications.”
DPP Spokesman Tsai Chi-chang (蔡其昌) made the same plea to the CEC, saying a DPP campaign staffer was fined NT$500,000 for accidentally mentioning a public opinion poll within the 10-day embargo period in last year’s legislative election.
The DPP’s Yilan County candidate, Lin Tsung-hsien (林聰賢), urged the county election commission to remain impartial.
“It’s common knowledge that no numbers on candidates’ support rates can be released in the 10 days before the election,” Lin told a press conference. “Ma is a legal expert, he should know this very well.”
At a press conference yesterday, the DPP accused Lu of dirty tricks, saying his campaign headquarters had distributed leaflets depicting Lin as a “womanizer.”
Lin’s wife, who was at the press conference, sobbed as she accused the KMT of handing out leaflets insinuating that her husband was a womanizer because he had been married before.
Lu’s campaign team hit back immediately, denying the accusation and saying the leaflets were leftovers from an election eight years ago, when another candidate ran against Lin.
Lu’s team said Lin should apologize for making false allegations.
The KMT meanwhile continued attacks on former premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷), saying Tsai should stop Hsieh from creating conflict during the election campaign period.
Heated clashes erupted between KMT and DPP supporters on Tuesday night in Hsinchu when the police blocked off streets as Ma accompanied the KMT’s Hsinchu County commissioner candidate, Chiu Ching-chun (邱鏡淳), on a visit to a night market in Jhubei City (竹北), obstructing a DPP campaign group led by former premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷).
The KMT blamed the clashes on Hsieh and accused him of provoking the conflict.
KMT Spokesman Lee Chien-jung (李建榮) said Hsieh was well aware of Ma’s campaigning schedule and tried to create conflict by getting close to his campaign team.
Lee said Hsieh had used the same approach during the presidential election campaign.
After provoking the KMT campaign team into scuffles, Hsieh and his supporters would videotape the clashes and later blame the clashes on the KMT and the police, Lee said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY FLORA WANG AND LOA IOK-SIN
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying