Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Deputy Secretary-General Steve Chan (詹啟賢) yesterday dismissed a media report that Vice President Vincent Siew (蕭萬長) had been diagnosed with lung cancer before the presidential election in March last year and that he had helped Siew conceal his condition.
“Would a person who had been diagnosed with cancer postpone his operation until he was elected?” asked Chan, former superintendent of the Tainan-based Chi Mei Medical Center, in response to a report in the Chinese-language China Times yesterday.
The report said there was speculation within the KMT that Siew had consulted Chan and been diagnosed with lung adenocarcinoma before the election.
The rumor began circulating when President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) left for a 10-day state visit to Central America on May 26, with some KMT members discussing the possibility of Siew being replaced, the report said.
Siew had surgery at Taipei Veterans General Hospital on May 20 to have two tumors removed. He was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday and is expected to undergo targeted therapy.
Chan called a press conference at KMT headquarters yesterday afternoon and demanded that the China Times run a correction.
Chan said Siew had always taken his health exams at National Taiwan University Hospital, except for the one time when Siew visited him at the center in Tainan in May 2006.
“How could I have diagnosed [Siew] with cancer during the [presidential] campaign when the only time I had conducted a health exam on [Siew] was three years ago?” Chan asked.
“Whoever started the rumor has an ulterior motive and people who believe it lack common sense,” he said. “Anyone with medical knowledge would know that the surgery would not have gone so smoothly if the cancer was detected three years ago.”
Chan said what was found in Siew’s left lung during his health exam at Chi Mei Medical Center that year was a tubercle, which tested negative.
Chan said he reminded Siew at the time to make sure he did follow-up examinations.
PROVOCATIVE: Chinese Deputy Ambassador to the UN Sun Lei accused Japan of sending military vessels to deliberately provoke tensions in the Taiwan Strait China denounced remarks by Japan and the EU about the South China Sea at a UN Security Council meeting on Monday, and accused Tokyo of provocative behavior in the Taiwan Strait and planning military expansion. Ayano Kunimitsu, a Japanese vice foreign minister, told the Council meeting on maritime security that Tokyo was seriously concerned about the situation in the East China and South China seas, and reiterated Japan’s opposition to any attempt to change the “status quo” by force, and obstruction of freedom of navigation and overflight. Stavros Lambrinidis, head of the EU delegation to the UN, also highlighted South China Sea
The final batch of 28 M1A2T Abrams tanks purchased from the US arrived at Taipei Port last night and were transported to the Armor Training Command in Hsinchu County’s Hukou Township (湖口), completing the military’s multi-year procurement of 108 of the tanks. Starting at 12:10am today, reporters observed more than a dozen civilian flatbed trailers departing from Taipei Port, each carrying an M1A2T tank covered with black waterproof tarps. Escorted by military vehicles, the convoy traveled via the West Coast Expressway to the Armor Training Command, with police implementing traffic control. The army operates about 1,000 tanks, including CM-11 Brave Tiger
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest contract chipmaker, said it expects its 2-nanometer (2nm) chip capacity to grow at a compound annual rate of 70 percent from this year to 2028. The projection comes as five fabs begin volume production of 2-nanometer chips this year — two in Hsinchu and three in Kaohsiung — TSMC senior vice president and deputy cochief operating officer Cliff Hou (侯永清) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Silicon Valley, California, last week. Output in the first year of 2-nanometer production, which began in the fourth quarter of last year, is expected to
ESWATINI TRIP: The ‘irresponsible actions’ of three African nations set a dangerous precedent and they should be held accountable, a US representative said The US Senate Foreign Relations Committee on Thursday urged Washington not to normalize Chinese pressure, while a US lawmaker called on the US government to hold countries accountable for yielding to Beijing’s pressure to block President William Lai’s (賴清德) planned trip to Eswatini. Lai had been scheduled to visit Eswatini to attend birthday events for King Mswati III of Eswatini this week, but on Tuesday, the eve of his planned departure on Wednesday, the Presidential Office said the trip was “suspended” after the Seychelles, Mauritius and Madagascar unexpectedly withdrew overflight permission. “China reportedly pressured Mauritius, Seychelles, and Madagascar to deny airspace access