Georgia does not want war in its breakaway region of South Ossetia, Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili said yesterday after Russia accused Tbilisi of triggering overnight clashes with rebels and preparing for war.
South Ossetian authorities earlier said that 18 people were wounded in what they described as heavy overnight artillery bombardment of the breakaway capital Tskhinvali and surrounding villages.
“Confrontation is not in Georgia’s interests and I hope and I’m sure that the continuation of confrontation is not in Russia’s interests either,” Saakashvili told journalists in televised comments in the town of Gori near South Ossetia.
Tensions between the former Soviet republic of Georgia and its two breakaway regions, South Ossetia and the Black Sea region Abkhazia, have increased in recent months.
Both regions, which broke away from Georgia in the early 1990s, enjoy financial and political support from Moscow and the vast majority of locals have Russian citizenship.
Moscow and the West are vying for influence over vital energy transit routes in the region, and Georgia has angered Russia by pushing for NATO membership.
Moscow had accused Georgia of gearing up for war and Russian television reported a Georgian military buildup near the boundary with South Ossetia.
“Concern was expressed that the action of the Georgian side around Tskhinvali can be regarded as war preparations,” the Russian foreign ministry said on its Web site after a telephone conversation between Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Grigory Karasin and South Ossetian leader Eduard Kokoity.
Marat Kulakhmetiv, commander of Russian peacekeeping forces, said fighting broke out at 11:40pm between Georgian and South Ossetian forces, involving small arms, automatic weapons and mortars.
Planned peace talks with Russian negotiators in Tbilisi yesterday fell apart as both sides traded accusations about who initiated the fighting.
Georgian Reintegration Minister Temur Yakobashvili said separatists “opened fire from hospitals and schools in order to provoke us into returning fire in the direction of their schools and hospitals and then to accuse us of barbaric actions.”
“The international community should be seriously concerned over this,” he told a news conference yesterday, local media reported.
The Interfax news agency quoted a senior South Ossetian official as saying the mechanized battalion of the Georgian army’s 5th brigade was being loaded onto trailers and dispatched to the conflict zone.
“When these detachments arrive, the Georgian side plans to launch large-scale military actions,” the secretary of the separatist Security Council Anatoly Barankevich told Interfax.
Georgia’s interior ministry denied the report.
Russia has previously accused Georgia of building up its military forces around South Ossetia and Abkhazia, allegations Georgia denies.
The US, Georgia’s main ally, urged the two sides on Wednesday to halt the violence and resume negotiations but it was unclear if upcoming talks between South Ossetian and Georgian officials would go ahead.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very