Taipei County health officials warned yesterday that the spread of enteroviruses might be more serious than first thought.
Since a new measure that requires schools to report enterovirus cases was put into effect on June 5, the number of the reported cases surged nearly fourfold to 379 last week, compared with no more than 100 cases a week before, the official said.
Enterovirus are small viruses that are second only to the common cold as the most common viral infections in humans.
Enterovirus 71 (EV71) can cause diarrhea, rashes and hand, foot and mouth disease. It is the most common cause of aseptic meningitis and can cause serious illness, especially in infants and those with compromised immune systems.
In Taipei County, 26 kindergartens, daycare centers and some first-grade and second-grade classes in elementary schools have announced temporary suspensions of classes in a bid to stem the spread.
Schools that fail to report enterovirus cases to the health authorities face fines of between NT$3,000 and NT$15,000 and being named in the media.
Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director Chou Chih-hau (周志浩) said Monday that the enterovirus outbreak will peak this week.
Chou asked all elementary schools, kindergartens and daycare centers to rigorously follow the regulations on class suspensions to prevent the spread of the viruses.
A Cabinet-level epidemic response command center has already ordered that daycare centers, kindergartens and schools must close for disinfection whenever two confirmed cases are reported in one class in a week.
The Taipei City Department of Health said yesterday that 113 classes at elementary schools, kindergartens and daycare centers had been suspended.
The department said a total of 192 serious enterovirus cases, including 187 EV71 infections, have been confirmed in the country so far this year, with seven fatalities.
In Taipei City, there have been four suspected enterovirus cases to date, with one confirmed serious case.
Department of Health Commissioner Chiu Wen-hsiang (邱文祥) said the number of new cases is expected to drop when summer vacation begins and the amount of contact between students declines.
He said the Taipei Department of Environmental Protection began disinfecting the city’s elementary schools, kindergartens and daycare centers last Saturday and that 696 have been cleaned, with work at the remaining 156 to be completed by the end of yesterday.
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying