The Central Election Commission (CEC) yesterday attempted to end months of wrangling over the voting system to be used in the legislative elections by announcing it would allow voters to follow the two-step voting procedure as long as the tables and voting boxes in polling stations are placed in accordance with the one-step voting format.
CEC Chairman Chang Cheng-hsiung (
Chang made the remarks at a press conference held at the Executive Yuan in Taipei in response to a report in yesterday's Chinese-language United Daily News.
PHOTO: CNA
Earlier yesterday, Cabinet Spokesman Shieh Jhy-wey (謝志偉) said that "there are signs of reconciliation. We hope the controversy can stop here."
On election day, Jan. 12, voters are entitled to cast two ballots for the next legislature -- one for their district candidate and one for their preferred party, along with two ballots for two referendums -- one on retrieving the Chinese Nationalist Party's (KMT) stolen assets and one on demanding that high-level officials convicted of corruption return their ill-gotten gains.
The CEC decided on Nov. 16 to adopt the one-step voting procedure, in which election and referendum ballots are handed out to voters at the entrance to polling stations.
However, pan-blue camp politicians and the heads of 18 pan-blue-controlled cities and counties have insisted on adopting the two-step voting scheme, in which voters will have to cast their election ballot before proceeding to cast referendum ballots.
The United Daily News report said that the CEC was now "open to" the two-step voting procedure because voters will be allowed to cast election ballots in the first stage and referendum ballots in the second stage.
"We won't say that the CEC is `open to' the two-step voting procedure. That's the media's wording. But we will hand out referendum ballots to voters who have cast legislative ballots if they want to vote in the referendums and are still inside polling stations," Chang said.
Chang, however, insisted that electoral staff from the local election commissions would have to place desks for the distribution of ballots and voting boxes in line with the setup used in the one-step voting system.
"If voters prefer to cast their legislative ballots before casting their referendum ballots instead of casting the four ballots at the same time, we can't stop them. But I believe that only a small number of voters would do so if they wish to take part in the referendums," Shieh said.
Despite the CEC's concession, the KMT caucus yesterday continued to voice its dissatisfaction with the voting procedure.
KMT caucus whip Tseng Yung-chuan (曾永權) told a press conference that the proposal was no more than "superficial goodwill," as the procedure remained the same as the "one-step" system favored by the CEC.
"The CEC's so-called `flexible two-step procedure' actually follows the one-step framework ... because the four ballot boxes will still be put next to each other," he said.
"Whether this procedure will help the polls proceed smoothly should be put to further public deliberation," he said.
Tseng also criticized the CEC's amendment to the organic statute of local election commissions on Wednesday that empowers the premier to replace local commission heads on the recommendation of the CEC, saying that the Cabinet had taken over the CEC and local election commissions.
"It's as if martial law had been imposed in Taiwan again ... are we a democracy? What law authorizes the premier to fire local election commissioners? If the Cabinet dares to fire any one of them, the caucus will definitely take the matter to court," Tseng said.
Meanwhile, KMT presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday questioned the CEC's latest decision, adding that the party would respect local government heads' handling of election affairs.
"I don't know if it's the CEC's final decision. We need to wait and see what happens next," Ma said in Banciao, Taipei County.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) said only that the city government would follow the decision of Taipei City's Election Commission.
Taipei County Commissioner Chou Hsi-wei (
In related news, Premier Chang Chun-hsiung (
The city election commission received an electronic version of the official notice from the premier in the late afternoon, which appointed commission member Tsai Tien-chi (蔡天啟) to take Wu's seat.
The premier also appointed Wu Chiu-ku (
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MO YAN-CHIH,
CHEN CHING-MIN AND SU YUNG-YAO
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) is expected to start construction of its 1.4-nanometer chip manufacturing facilities at the Central Taiwan Science Park (CTSP, 中部科學園區) as early as October, the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) reported yesterday, citing the park administration. TSMC acquired land for the second phase of the park’s expansion in Taichung in June. Large cement, construction and facility engineering companies in central Taiwan have reportedly been receiving bids for TSMC-related projects, the report said. Supply-chain firms estimated that the business opportunities for engineering, equipment and materials supply, and back-end packaging and testing could reach as high as
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Democratic nations should refrain from attending China’s upcoming large-scale military parade, which Beijing could use to sow discord among democracies, Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Shen You-chung (沈有忠) said. China is scheduled to stage the parade on Wednesday next week to mark the 80th anniversary of Japan’s surrender in World War II. The event is expected to mobilize tens of thousands of participants and prominently showcase China’s military hardware. Speaking at a symposium in Taichung on Thursday, Shen said that Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) recently met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during a visit to New Delhi.
FINANCES: The KMT plan to halt pension cuts could bankrupt the pension fund years earlier, undermining intergenerational fairness, a Ministry of Civil Service report said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ proposal to amend the law to halt pension cuts for civil servants, teachers and military personnel could accelerate the depletion of the Public Service Pension Fund by four to five years, a Ministry of Civil Service report said. Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) on Aug. 14 said that the Act Governing Civil Servants’ Retirement, Discharge and Pensions (公務人員退休資遣撫卹法) should be amended, adding that changes could begin as soon as after Saturday’s recall and referendum. In a written report to the Legislative Yuan, the ministry said that the fund already faces a severe imbalance between revenue