Police charged a Japanese rock singer yesterday with violating public decency laws after he briefly stripped on-stage during a concert in Taipei on Saturday night.
Kazunobu Mineta, 29, and his band, the Ging Nang Boyz, were performing as part of the line-up for the three-day Formoz Festival at the Taipei Children's Recreation Center, when Mineta surprised the audience by taking off his shorts for just a few minutes.
Tang Ssu-huai (唐斯懷), the Taipei police officer in charge of the case, told reporters that the police began receiving telephone calls complaining about Mineta's full Monty soon after the incident.
Police were able to locate Mineta after the concert and took him to a police station for a questioning, Tang said.
Mineta was released by police around 2:30am yesterday.
The Chinese-language United Daily News reported yesterday that Mineta had been "drinking" before he disrobed.
"He had a sip of wine and began taking off his clothes on stage," the newspaper said.
"He later stood all naked on stage for a full minute before retreating to the back stage to put on his shorts," the paper said.
"Some female fans were astonished, but male audiences were thrilled and screamed," the paper said.
Tang said Mineta had told police he was used to taking his pants off while performing in Japan and that he did not know the behavior was illegal in Taiwan.
The singer said he wanted to apologize for his behavior, Tang said.
"With the atmosphere at the concert getting more animated, I became very excited and took my pants off," Tang quoted the singer as saying.
Tang said nudity in public was a violation of public decency.
If convicted, Mineta could face a one-year jail term although the sentence could be commuted to a minimum fine of NT$3,000, the police officer said.
Tang said the police had sent the case to Taipei prosecutors for investigation, and the prosecutors' decision was expected in about two weeks.
Tang said Mineta could leave Taiwan at any time as the singer had not been barred from leaving the country.
Additional reporting by Ap
HELPING HAND: Taiwan is ready to help other nations and will not sit idly by while the global fight against the coronavirus continues, President Tsai Ing-wen said Taiwan, as a responsible member of the international community, is to offer humanitarian assistance to nations hardest hit by the COVID-19 pandemic by sending them masks and medicine, as well as sharing with them an electronic system that the government has been using to track down people that need to be quarantined, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said yesterday. With the nation’s daily production having reached 13 million masks and soon to reach 15 million, the government is to donate 10 million masks to medical personnel in nations most severely affected by the coronavirus, Tsai said at the Presidential Office in Taipei. The
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
TRILLION PROPOSED: The premier said the goal was to keep ‘businesses solvent, the unemployment rate down, transportation and logistics going, and cash flowing’ The Executive Yuan yesterday announced an expanded economic stimulus package totaling NT$1.05 trillion (US$34.64 billion), including NT$81.6 billion in subsidies for employers to prevent a spike in unemployment. The increased budget comprises a special budget of NT$210 billion, up from the NT$60 billion already passed by the Legislative Yuan; NT$140 billion — up from NT$40 billion — to be appropriated from the general budget; and NT$700 billion in loans to industries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a news conference at the Executive Yuan in Taipei. The NT$150 billion increase in the
The Central Epidemic Command Center yesterday released a set of revised criteria for reporting suspected COVID-19 cases, while also announcing its guidelines for disclosing patients’ personal information. The center said that its advisory specialist panel revised the definition for “severe pneumonia with novel pathogens” — COVID-19 infection — by expanding the criteria needed to report suspected cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that physicians should report people for testing if they meet one of three clinical conditions: They have a fever, acute respiratory infection, or a lack of smell or taste; there is a