Libya will seek support from the Arab League today in the row over Bulgaria's "betrayal" in pardoning the five nurses and one doctor jailed in the AIDS case.
Libyan Foreign Minister Abdel Rahman Shalgham on Saturday denounced as a "betrayal" and illegal the pardon issued by the Bulgarian president to the six medics, who were transferred to Bulgaria from Libya last Tuesday.
"The detainees should have been detained upon their arrival [in Sofia], and not freed in this celebratory and illegal manner," Shalgham told reporters in Tripoli.
Libyan Prime Minister Baghdadi Mahmudi told the reporters that Bulgaria's actions had violated the legal procedures regarding extradition, as set out in international law and in a 1984 agreement between the two countries.
"We followed the procedure -- it is Bulgaria that betrayed us," Mahmudi said.
Shalgham meanwhile criticized European countries for "joining forces behind the criminals ... before applauding their liberation."
He denounced the "strong European pressure" exerted on Libya.
He also attacked "the humanitarian and international organizations who, instead of criticizing the liberation of the criminals, welcomed and greeted this step."
Libya has sent fellow Arab League members a memorandum calling for the group to adopt a common stand on the affair today at a meeting of representatives, Mahmudi said.
Tripoli would also plans to seek support from the African Union and the Organization of the Islamic Conference, he said.
Held in Libya since 1999, the five Bulgarian nurses and one Palestinian doctor with Bulgarian citizenship were sentenced to death after being convicted of deliberately infecting 438 Libyan children with the AIDS-causing HIV virus. Fifty-six of the children later died.
Libya allowed the six to leave for Bulgaria last Tuesday, where they had been due to serve life terms in prison, but instead the six were pardoned by Bulgarian President Georgy Parvanov.
Passengers on domestic flights would not be allowed to board if their temperature is more than 37.5°C or if they refuse to have their temperatures taken, Uni Air (立榮航空) and Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) said yesterday. The two airlines made the announcement after their parent companies — EVA Airways (長榮航空) and China Airlines (CAL, 中華航空) respectively — announced similar pre-boarding requirements on Saturday, along with a requirement that passengers wear masks during their flights, except when they have meals or drinks. Uni Air and Mandarin Airlines said domestic passengers would be required to wear masks from the time they start using self-help
CASE COUNT RISES: One of the new domestic cases is a nurse at a long-term care center, but so far tests on all the residents and other staff have been negative Flight transits through all Taiwanese airports would be banned for two weeks, starting tomorrow, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 169. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said all flight transits would be banned through April 7. In light of the rapidly increasing number of imported COVID-19 cases, there was a need to further reduce cross-border travel and the risk of disease transmission, the center said. The Civil Aeronautics Administration has informed airlines about the new measures, and anyone who has
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on