Former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman and Taipei mayor Ma Ying-jeou (
Ma is on trial for allegedly misusing a special allowance fund during his eight-year tenure as mayor.
When the judges asked Ma how he would like to plead, Ma said: "I am not guilty of these charges, and I hope the court will soon clear my name."
PHOTO: AP AND CNA
Ma and his lawyers yesterday argued that special allowances received by government officials should be treated as a "substantial subsidy" -- essentially as income -- and not as public funds.
"Prosecutors did not investigate matters in my favor, and also ignored evidence that supports my case," Ma told the presiding judges of the Taipei District Court.
"I have been very proud of having a reputation for incorruptibility, but my reputation has been damaged by this flawed indictment. I absolutely cannot accept this," Ma added.
Still, Ma admitted that he had been taking special allowance funds since becoming a government official in 1988, saying he had regarded the funds as part of his government income.
He said that hundreds of government officials shared the same opinion about the funds, and they had also treated their special allowances as personal income.
Ma said he had never known that the special allowances were public funds, adding that he had not intended to embezzle public money.
Ma's lawyer, Hsueh Sung-yu (
Hsueh said the Ministry of Justice also issued a statement last November that prosecutors should take a lenient approach toward their investigations into the abuse of the special allowance funds.
The ministry said the special allowance fund should be seen as a "substantial subsidy" to officials, he added.
Ma is accused of embezzling NT$11 million [US$333,000] and was indicted on Feb. 13 on corruption charges.
Prosecutors found that between December 1998 and last July, Ma wired half of his monthly special allowance -- NT$170,000 -- directly to a personal account. They also found that Ma had NT$11,176,227 in bank accounts belonging to him and his wife.
Taiwan High Court Prosecutors' Office spokesman Chang Wen-cheng (張文政) said that while Ma's salary was about NT$150,000, the mayor had deposited NT$200,000 into an account under the name of his wife, Chou Mei-chin (周美青), each month. This, Chang said, led prosecutors to suspect that he had been embezzling public funds.
Ma included the money in his annual declaration of assets.
Meanwhile, the trial has already begun to spawn protests, counter-protests and violent scuffles.
Early yesterday, some Democratic Progressive Party legislators went to the Taipei District Court to watch the proceedings. But police prevented the lawmakers from entering the courtroom because seating was limited and required an application in advance.
The lawmakers joined protesters outside, declaring they were dissatisfied with the court's limited public seating. They then took part in a vocal exchange with Ma supporters, which turned violent.
The police were called in to break up the fray and disperse the crowd. No serious injuries were reported.
also see story:
Ma's army collects primary form
Pan-blues push amendment to clear Ma
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly