The campaign aimed at ousting President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) announced yesterday it would shrink the scale of its round-the-clock sit-in, starting today.
The announcement came amid criticism from opponents and supporters following the illegal protest in Taipei on Tuesday that became an overnight sit-in on Zhongxiao W Road.
While the central government condemned the disturbances brought about by the demonstration, some supporters questioned what they termed the "indecisive leadership" of the campaign, citing leaders' decision to retreat from the road on Tuesday night.
The camp yesterday said it had decided to do so to preserve its energy for the long-term movement.
The campaign said it will reduce its sit-in to four hours per day, and that it will not launch any large-scale protests until Prosecutor Eric Chen (
"Considering the hardships endured by the police and the press over the past month, our financial situation and the people's anxiety, we have decided to scale down the protest," campaign spokesman Jerry Fan (
In response to the Taipei City Police Department's decision to revoke the campaign's permit for a sit-in on Ketagalan Boulevard from today through Oct. 27, Fan said they respected the decision and would stay at the current site on the south plaza of Taipei Railway Station and continue protesting between 6pm and 10pm every night.
Dismissing allegations that the campaign was losing momentum, Chang Fu-chung (
In response to questions from the Democratic Progressive Party over the campaign's finances, Lu Tai-nien (呂台年), a deputy coordinator, said NT$41 million (US$1.2 million) of the NT$110 million received in donations had been spent.
Around NT$21 million was spent on newspaper advertisements, while other big items included deposits for the use of public places (NT$390,000) and salary payments to workers (NT$406,000), Lu said.
Both Lu and Fan dismissed accusations made by Fei-Fang Weekly magazine that they had profited from the campaign and urged the magazine to provide evidence.
The magazine accused Fan, a well-known advertising executive, of giving the campaign's ad projects to his own agency.
Fan said that he would release details of its finances in a few days.
Lee Hsin (李新), a deputy coordinator, said yesterday that the campaign would reapply for a permit to gather on Ketagalan Boulevard, while applying for another permit to hold rallies in front of the Taipei Railway Station from Oct. 19 to Nov. 1 as a backup plan.
The campaign has permission to stay at Taipei Railway Station until Oct. 18.
Ma said the police department revoked the campaign's permit because it had failed to follow the conditions required by the city government during its illegal protest, but the police might grant the campaign new permits if it starts obeying the rules.
Also see story:
Evidence alone will decide the outcome of probe: Eric Chen
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very