Japan yesterday approved a plan to develop with the US a next-generation shipborne missile defense system, amid growing concern about North Korea and rising tension between Japan and China.
The government decided to launch development of the system in the financial year starting in March next year. It is based on the US sea-based Standard Missile 3 (SM-3) after six years of joint research.
"The missile defense system is purely and solely defensive in nature to protect the lives and assets of the people," Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe said in a statement after the decision.
"It is appropriate to proceed with the joint development in order to secure the capability to deal with the threat of ballistic missiles," he said, despite lingering doubts about the precision of such a system.
Japan has been in a hurry to build a missile defense system with the US since North Korea stunned the world in 1998 by firing a missile over the Japanese mainland into the Pacific.
Analysts say North Korea is developing long-range missiles capable of reaching Alaska, Hawaii and perhaps the US West Coast.
Japan's Defense Agency said earlier this month that the US and Japanese militaries are looking at a site in Aomori, about 580km northeast of Tokyo, to base a radar system for the missile shield. The high-resolution radar is expected to be able to discriminate targets from decoys.
The Cabinet of Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi approved a ?3 billion (US$2.5 million) budget for the next financial year for development costs as requested by the Defense Agency.
It also earmarked ?700 million for remaining work on the joint research.
Abe, the top government spokesman, said that the joint missile project would be carried out without infringing on Japan's strict control on exports of arms.
The SM-3 is part of an anti-missile shield which includes the land-based surface-to-air PAC-3.
SM-3s intercept ballistic missiles when they reach their highest point outside of the atmosphere and PAC-3 missiles are used to destroy missiles that evade SM-3 interceptions.
The SM-3 interceptors will be based on destroyers equipped with the state-of-the-art Aegis air-defense system.
Fukushiro Nukaga, the state minister for defense, said last week Japan would shoulder about US$1 billion to US$1.2 billion of the cost of the nine-year project. The US side is expected to chip in US$1.1 billion to US$1.5 billion dollars.
"The system will contribute to stability in the region as it will strengthen our country's defense capability ... amid the proliferation of ballistic missiles," he told reporters yesterday.
"We hope to spare no effort in explaining the purpose of the [missile] policy pursued by Japan and the US," he added.
The missile-defense project has been a major part of the strengthened Japan-US military alliance in recent years and is excluded from Japan's ban on arms exports.
In 1967, Japan banned exports of weapons to the Communist bloc, countries under UN sanctions and those in international conflicts. The government tightened the ban in 1976 preventing all arms exports regardless of destination. But transfer of military technology to the US was made an exception.
CHAMPIONS: President Lai congratulated the players’ outstanding performance, cheering them for marking a new milestone in the nation’s baseball history Taiwan on Sunday won their first Little League Baseball World Series (LLBWS) title in 29 years, as Taipei’s Dong Yuan Elementary School defeated a team from Las Vegas 7-0 in the championship game in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania. It was Taiwan’s first championship in the annual tournament since 1996, ending a nearly three-decade drought. “It has been a very long time ... and we finally made it,” Taiwan manager Lai Min-nan (賴敏男) said after the game. Lai said he last managed a Dong Yuan team in at the South Williamsport in 2015, when they were eliminated after four games. “There is
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers have declared they survived recall votes to remove them from office today, although official results are still pending as the vote counting continues. Although final tallies from the Central Election Commission (CEC) are still pending, preliminary results indicate that the recall campaigns against all seven KMT lawmakers have fallen short. As of 6:10 pm, Taichung Legislators Yen Kuan-heng (顏寬恒) and Yang Chiung-ying (楊瓊瓔), Hsinchu County Legislator Lin Szu-ming (林思銘), Nantou County Legislator Ma Wen-chun (馬文君) and New Taipei City Legislator Lo Ming-tsai (羅明才) had all announced they
Nvidia Corp CEO Jensen Huang (黃仁勳) yesterday visited Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), as the chipmaker prepares for volume production of Nvidia’s next-generation artificial intelligence (AI) chips. It was Huang’s third trip to Taiwan this year, indicating that Nvidia’s supply chain is deeply connected to Taiwan. Its partners also include packager Siliconware Precision Industries Co (矽品精密) and server makers Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) and Quanta Computer Inc (廣達). “My main purpose is to visit TSMC,” Huang said yesterday. “As you know, we have next-generation architecture called Rubin. Rubin is very advanced. We have now taped out six brand new
POWER PLANT POLL: The TPP said the number of ‘yes’ votes showed that the energy policy should be corrected, and the KMT said the result was a win for the people’s voice The government does not rule out advanced nuclear energy generation if it meets the government’s three prerequisites, President William Lai (賴清德) said last night after the number of votes in favor of restarting a nuclear power plant outnumbered the “no” votes in a referendum yesterday. The referendum failed to pass, despite getting more “yes” votes, as the Referendum Act (公民投票法) states that the vote would only pass if the votes in favor account for more than one-fourth of the total number of eligible voters and outnumber the opposing votes. Yesterday’s referendum question was: “Do you agree that the Ma-anshan Nuclear Power Plant