Premier Frank Hsieh (
"I have had two main goals for Chunghwa Telecom ever since I took office back in February," Hsieh said. "The first thing was to sell all the government's shares of the company and make it a purely private firm. The second was to ask the company to reduce its service rates."
Hsieh made the remarks in his opening speech to the weekly Cabinet meeting yesterday morning.
According to Hsieh, Chunghwa Telecom cellphone users calling local landline numbers will see their charges reduced by anywhere from 3 percent to 15 percent, depending on what monthly program they subscribe to.
Chunghwa Telecom said that the company is currently serving 8 million mobile phone users. According to its own research, the total amount of time these clients use their phones to call landline numbers amounts to 142 million minutes every month.
The rate-cut policy will cost the company an estimated NT$800 million (US$23.7 million) a year but the company believes it can fill the revenue gap as the cheaper rates will boost its subscriber numbers and encourage its clients to make more calls.
Hsieh's announcement was criticized, however, as interference in a private firm's policies. The government's shares in Chunghwa were sold off in August, so it is no longer a state-run firm.
Some Chunghwa employees complained that Hsieh had publicized policies that they had not planned on announcing yet.
The Chunghwa Telecom Union said that the company's board met on Tuesday morning and the rate- cut measure was not even mentioned, so the board knew nothing about the plan.
It said Hsieh's announcement had been motivated by election concerns.
Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Ling-san (林陵三) said yesterday that he had just approved the rate cut on Tuesday night.
"This case was submitted to the Executive Yuan first thing Wednesday morning. But I did not expect the premier to respond so quickly by announcing it during the meeting," Lin said. "But, since the premier has announced it, we will carry it out."
also see story:
Rivals unfazed as Chunghwa rates drop
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very