Thunderstorms followed by cold weather promised more misery for survivors of the Kashmir earthquake this weekend as the focus of aid efforts turned yesterday from rescue to relief.
Search and rescue operations for any survivors trapped in the rubble from the earthquake have ended and the focus is now on emergency relief for millions of hungry and homeless people, Jan Egeland, the UN undersecretary-general and emergency relief coordinator, said yesterday.
"The first phase is search and rescue. As a phase, that has now ended," he said at a news conference in Islamabad. "It's a cruel reality. But after a week, very few people survive."
Egeland said aid agencies were now focusing on providing food and shelter to the millions who need it.
International rescue teams began leaving Pakistani Kashmir, although Pakistani officials denied that the search for survivors had been called off.
The weather forecast for 48 hours from last night threatened to disrupt the emergency effort to assist millions affected by last week's quake, including more than a million made homeless and lacking even basic shelter.
Heavy rain and hailstorms in the mountainous earthquake zone in Pakistani Kashmir and North West Frontier Province earlier in the week forced a temporary suspension of flights bringing in essential relief supplies.
More rain is also likely to hamper movement of emergency supplies by road, even as the UN says it is in a race against time to provide aid to people before the winter sets in.
The official death toll of 25,000 in Pakistani Kashmir is expected to rise. Some local officials and politicians say deaths could exceed 40,000. Another 1,200 died in Indian Kashmir.
Strong night-time aftershocks have added to the misery.
An aftershock at around 2am yesterday sent people who had been sleeping on the pavement in Muzaffarabad, capital of Pakistani Kashmir, leaping to the middle of the road before drifting back.
Local meteorological officials said there were 70 aftershocks in a 24-hour period between Wed-nesday and Thursday, and the seismic activity was likely to continue for months, maybe years.
Egeland called for a more urgent world aid response. He said there was still an acute shortage of helicopters essential to reach remote villages and about three times as many were needed.
There had been an outpouring of support and an enormous wave of sympathy from around the world, Egeland said, but added: "I would like to see it being even more quick [than] this response."
"This is a very major earthquake but it's really aggravated a thousand times by the topography. An earthquake is bad anywhere; in the Himalayas it becomes much worse," he said.
"My biggest worry today is that we will have tremendous bottlenecks," he said. "If we don't work together, we will become a disaster within a disaster."
The army has been dropping supplies to villages cut off from help in remote valleys. Where valleys were too narrow for helicopters, mule-trains are being sent to carry in the food, blankets and tents people need to survive.
But for the villagers, these are temporary steps -- they want assurances they were not going to be cut off for the winter.
also see story:
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly