Despite an order by People First Party (PFP) Chairman James Soong forbidding party members from attending yesterday's "319 Democracy, Peace and Truth" rally, a sizable number of PFP legislators marched with supporters anyway.
While Soong was nowhere to be seen, at least 10 PFP legislators, including Chou Hsi-wei (周錫瑋), Lee Yung-ping (李永萍), Sun Ta-chien (孫大千), Lee Ching-hua (李慶華), and Chiu Yi (邱毅) marched yesterday.
Chinese-language media reported that Soong had given orders on Friday that party members and legislators were to avoid yesterday's march. However, the party's legislative caucus countered the media reports during a press conference yesterday morning.
Confirming Soong would be absent, PFP caucus whip Chen Chih-pin (
When asked about Soong's whereabouts yesterday, the PFP said that he was spending the day at home.
While Soong was being low key about yesterday's demonstration, PFP policy department head Chang Hsien-yao (
Alluding to Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), Chang said Soong believed that if "someone" had been firmer in supporting the protests, the result might have been different.
While Soong had no hard feelings against Ma, Chang said, he did feel that "it is a little late" for Ma to try to make up for the past.
Soong was originally one of the most vocal critics of the election result. However, Soong's Feb. 24 meeting with President Chen Shui-bian led commentators to speculate on changing relations between the PFP and the administration.
Soong felt that the pan-blue camp's efforts to uncover the details of the assassination attempt were better spent in the legal arena rather than organizing grassroots demonstrations, Chou said.
While KMT heavyweights such as Chairman Lien Chan urged unity within the pan-blue camp yesterday, at least one pan-blue leader was unhappy about Soong's absence.
Urging the pan-blue camp to continue its pursuit of "democracy, peace and truth," New Party Chairman Yok Mu-ming (郁慕明) told supporters to "forget about the people who have left and care about those who are united."
Passengers on domestic flights would not be allowed to board if their temperature is more than 37.5°C or if they refuse to have their temperatures taken, Uni Air (立榮航空) and Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) said yesterday. The two airlines made the announcement after their parent companies — EVA Airways (長榮航空) and China Airlines (CAL, 中華航空) respectively — announced similar pre-boarding requirements on Saturday, along with a requirement that passengers wear masks during their flights, except when they have meals or drinks. Uni Air and Mandarin Airlines said domestic passengers would be required to wear masks from the time they start using self-help
CASE COUNT RISES: One of the new domestic cases is a nurse at a long-term care center, but so far tests on all the residents and other staff have been negative Flight transits through all Taiwanese airports would be banned for two weeks, starting tomorrow, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 169. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said all flight transits would be banned through April 7. In light of the rapidly increasing number of imported COVID-19 cases, there was a need to further reduce cross-border travel and the risk of disease transmission, the center said. The Civil Aeronautics Administration has informed airlines about the new measures, and anyone who has
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on