Tainan County Council Speaker Wu Chien-bao (吳健保) and Councilor Lee Chuan-fu (李全富), both Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) members, were accused yesterday of illegally quarrying sand from the Tsengwen River and earning more than NT$1 billion for selling the sand to construction companies.
Tainan District Prosecutors' Office Spokesman Fan Wen-hao (范文豪) said Wu was summoned by prosecutors for questioning and that they asked the court last night to detain him. As of press time last night, the detention order had not been granted.
Prosecutors have not been able to locate Lee. His older brother, KMT Legislator Lee Chuan-chiao (李全教), yesterday called for his sibling to meet with investigators.
Prosecutors said Wu ran the Tainan-based Fu-hsin Co, which won a public bid in March last year to dredge the channel of the Tsengwen River.
Prosecutors said Lee Chuan-fu had cooperated with Wu on the sand business.
They said the contract called for the company to quarry silt from the river and deepen its channel to 4m. However, they said, the company deepened the channel to 13m, and sold the dredged sand to construction companies while partially filling the channel with earth from the riverbank.
Prosecutors said quarrying had severely damaged the environment and endangered bridges across the river.
The investigation into Wu and Lee Chuan-fu began after Lee was reportedly kidnapped by fugitive Chang His-ming (張錫銘) last month. Fu-hsin Co paid a NT$30 million ransom for Lee. Investigators wondered why Wu and his firm were willing to pay the ransom.
Prosecutors believe Chang kidnapped Lee because he wanted some of the money the county councillor had reportedly made from the sand sales. Chang is on the most-wanted list for his alleged involvement in several kidnapping cases.
Tainan prosecutors led raids on Thursday of the Tainan Bureau of the Water Resources Agency (WRA), the residences of Wu and Lee Chuan-fu, and the dredging site.
Prosecutors said Wu had been tipped off about the raids in advance and so they didn't find him at his home or office on Thursday.
He was picked up last night after police found him in his car near his home.
Investigators are also probing whether Wu bribed a WRA official at the Tainan bureau to win the dredging bid for NT$50 million. Prosecutors said they are also investigating some WRA employees.
Prosecutors have summoned more than 80 people for questioning in the case, including Fu-hsin employees and construction workers.
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
SECURITY: Taipei presses the US for arms supplies, saying the arms sales are not only a reflection of the US security commitment to Taiwan but also serve as a mutual deterrent against regional threats Taiwan is committed to preserving the cross-strait “status quo” and contributing to regional peace and stability, the Presidential Office said yesterday. “It is an undeniable fact that the Republic of China is a sovereign and independent democratic nation,” Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo (郭雅慧) reiterated, adding that Beijing has no right to claim sovereignty over Taiwan. The statements came after US President Donald Trump warned against Taiwanese independence. Trump wrapped up a state visit to Beijing on Friday, during which Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) had pressed him not to support Taiwan. Taiwan depends heavily on US security backing to deter China from carrying
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good