The death toll in the landslides triggered by six days of heavy rains in the central Philippines was expected to top 100 after 35 bodies were found with scores still missing yesterday. \nGovernment officials said most of the people were asleep when the landslides hit the towns of San Francisco and Liloan in Southern Leyte province late on Friday. \nFour people were injured when their houses collapsed and 83 were still missing, they said. \nDisaster officials said a dozen people were also killed in landslides and flash floods triggered by the rains on the southern island of Mindanao, adjacent to Leyte island. \nAbout 300 people were evacuated to safer areas in Southern Leyte after troops rushed to the disaster zone to rescue victims trapped under tonnes of mud and debris dumped from the nearby hills, officials said. \n"This is the worst experience we have had in years," said Rosette Lerias, governor of the province. \nShe said bad weather, blocked roads and a power outage in the region were hampering rescue work. \nLerias said soldiers had reached only one of the two affected areas after trekking for many hours. \n"We really have no idea of the magnitude of the disaster because the weather has kept us from moving and inspecting other areas," she said. \nAllen Olayvar, coordinator of the Office of Civil Defense in Southern Leyte, said provincial officials received cell phone text messages early yesterday reporting the casualties. \n"Emergency!" one text message said. "There are so many dead from landslide here ... Please inform the governor to get help here." \nHeavy rains and strong winds had made it difficult for two military helicopters to fly to the disaster areas from an airbase on Cebu island, an official said. \nLerias blamed widespread illegal logging on the nearby hills for the landslides. \nIllegal logging was also blamed for flash floods that killed at least 170 people in Indonesia's Gunung Leuser national park in North Sumatra last month. \n"Thank God, there was no typhoon," Lerias said, adding that a low-pressure area northeast of the island was dumping rain in the region. \nThe rains began Monday in eastern parts of the central Philippines and Mindanao, and continued throughout yesterday. \nThe country of 82 million people is hit by 17 to 20 typhoons a year. \nThe most destructive was Thelma, which struck Leyte island in November 1991 and unleashed floods that killed about 5,000 people.
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly