Efforts to forge a post-Taliban government progressed yesterday, as Northern Alliance commanders offered an exit to some non-Afghan fighters holed up with the Taliban in the northern city of Kunduz despite US opposition to any "negotiated surrender."
Germany said it offered to host an all-party conference on the future of Afghanistan and is awaiting a response from the UN, which is overseeing the international efforts.
Iranian state radio said the conference would take place in Berlin on Saturday.
UN envoy Francesc Vendrell "is very hopeful [about giving] a positive announcement" at a news conference later in the day, a spokesman said in Kabul.
Vendrell met late Monday with General Mohammad Qasim Fahim, the Alliance's defense minister, as well as foreign minister Abdullah Abdullah and interior minister Younis Qanooni in talks the spokesman described as "warm."
US planes pursued their raids on Kunduz and the Taliban's southern stronghold of Kandahar, the last two major pockets of Taliban resistance.
A Taliban commander said Monday that he was willing to surrender Kunduz under UN supervision, after weekend bombings killed more than 1,000 people.
The Alliance's General Mohammad Daoud said yesterday that foreign "mercenaries," except "those who have committed crimes," could be allowed to leave the besieged city if the UN or other countries accept them.
Estimates of Taliban troops defending Kunduz run as high as 30,000, with a hardcore element of Arab, Chechen and Pakistani al-Qaeda fighters making up about one-third.
Daoud said he rejected a Taliban request that they be taken by convoy from Kunduz to Kandahar, where talks between the Taliban and fellow Pashtun tribal leaders for a peaceful handover appeared deadlocked.
"Our holy war continues," a ranking Taliban official said yesterday at Spin Boldak, near the besieged city. "There are no negotiations going on in Kandahar."
Negotiators in Kabul were hoping to flesh out a plan for a post-Taliban government after an intensive round of political talks involving Northern Alliance president Burhanuddin Rabbani and envoys from the UN, the US and Britain.
Qanooni said an agreement was reached "in principle," but added: "On the details, we have some observations" that would be aired later yesterday.
US special envoy James Dobbins said he was confident a UN-backed meeting of eminent Afghans could take place this week.
An inter-Afghan conference at a neutral European venue would be the first step of a five-point UN plan for a broad-based new Afghan government.
The Alliance is "ready to move forward to the creation of a new, broader government, which will represent all regions, all ethnicities," Dobbins said.
After chasing the Taliban from the Afghan capital a week ago, the Northern Alliance had been hesitant about the UN plan, prompting concerns that it is unwilling to relinquish its hold on power.
The UN and US envoys had met earlier with exiled Afghan leaders, including former king Mohammed Zahir Shah, seen as a potential unifying force despite having spent the last 28 years in exile.
A spokesman for Zahir Shah, 87, warned in Rome that any attempt to sideline the ex-king would increase internal strife.
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
CAUTION: Taiwanese should be alert, even if they have just liked or shared posts that would breach Beijing’s national security legislation for Hong Kong, the council said Due to the newly implemented Hong Kong national security legislation, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has drawn up a list of what it described as “high-risk groups,” cautioning them not to travel to Hong Kong. People who support independence for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang; those who are critical of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), the Hong Kong government and the “one country, two systems” concept; and those who donated to or voiced support for the Hong Kong anti-extradition bill movement are urged to refrain from visiting Hong Kong, the council said on its Web site. It released two posts on
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
CAUTION: Taiwan had zero cases of death from food poisoning for six years until last year, when two people died after eating wildlife, an FDA official said The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday urged the public not to eat wildlife or unidentified wild plants, as they could be fatal, with nearly 7,000 people affected by food poisoning last year, including two deaths due to wildlife consumption. The number of food poisoning incidents increased by nearly 50 percent last year, from 398 cases involving 4,616 people in the previous year to 503 cases involving 6,944 people, FDA data showed. That figure was the second-highest in history, the FDA said, adding that the highest number was recorded in 1997, with 7,235 people. Among the 503 cases, 87 were food poisoning clusters