Parent groups in the UK have condemned a new Internet game in which girls as young as nine are encouraged to "buy" their virtual dolls breast operations and facelifts.
The aim of the Miss Bimbo beauty contest game, which was launched in Britain last month, is to become the "hottest, coolest, most famous bimbo in the whole world," and contestants who compete against each other are told to "stop at nothing," even "meds or plastic surgery," to ensure their dolls win.
Children are given a naked virtual character to look after. They compete against other players to earn "bimbo" dollars so they can dress her in sexy outfits and take her clubbing. They are given missions, including securing plastic surgery at the game's clinic to give their dolls bigger breasts, and they have to keep her at her target weight with diet pills.
Although it is free to play, when the contestants run out of virtual cash they have to send text messages costing ?1.50 (US$3) each or use PayPal to top up their accounts.
Bill Hibberd, of parents' rights group Parentkind, said the game sends a dangerous message to young girls.
"It is one thing if a child recognizes it as a silly and stupid game," he said. "But the danger is that a nine-year-old fails to appreciate the irony and sees the bimbo as a cool role model. Then the game becomes a hazard and a menace."
"Children's innocence should be protected as far as possible. It depends on the background and mindset of the child, but the danger is that after playing the game some will then aspire to have breast operations and take diet pills," Hibberd said.
He added that the game also posed a financial danger for parents if they did not keep an eye on the text messages that were sent.
In France, where Miss Bimbo's sister Web site was condemned by dietitians and parents when it began last year, one parent threatened the creators with legal action after his daughter ran up a ?100 mobile bill sending text messages without his knowledge.
The British version already has nearly 200,000 players, most of whom are girls aged between nine and 16. There are 1.2 million players in France.
One parent said the Web site's creators were irresponsible. Nick Williams, from Shrewsbury, Shropshire, said he was appalled when he saw his daughters Katie, nine, and Sarah, 14, playing the game.
"I noticed them looking at possible breast operations and facelifts for their bimbos at the game's plastic surgery clinic," said Williams, a 42-year-old accountant.
"Katie is far too young for that kind of thing and it is irresponsible of the site's creators to be leading young girls astray. They are easily influenced at that age as to what is cool," he said.
The creators of Miss Bimbo insist it is "harmless fun."
"It is not a bad influence for young children. They learn to take care of their bimbos. The missions and goals are morally sound and teach children about the real world," said Nicolas Jacquart, the 23-year-old Web designer from Tooting, south London who created the site.
"If they eat too much chocolate in the game, it is bad for their bimbos' bodies and their happiness levels compared to if they eat fruit and vegetables, which reinforces positive healthy eating messages," he said.
"If they are having problems with boyfriends or at work, the bimbos can talk through them with a psychiatrist," Jacquart said.
"The breast operations are just one part of the game and we are not encouraging young girls to have them, just reflecting real life," he said.
SURPRISE GUEST: Media reports identified the visitor as Admiral Michael Studeman, director of the J2, which oversees intelligence at the US military’s Indo-Pacific Command A two-star US Navy admiral overseeing US military intelligence in the Asia-Pacific region has made an unannounced visit to Taiwan, two sources told Reuters on Sunday. The sources, who include a Taiwanese official familiar with the situation, said the official was Rear Admiral Michael Studeman. They were speaking on condition of anonymity. After initially saying on Sunday night that it had no comment about the report, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it welcomed the visit of an “unidentified US official,” but declined to give more details because the trip “has not been made public.” Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang (張惇涵) yesterday
AUTUMN STRUGGLE: The KMT and TPP set up stages on the rally’s sidelines, while Want Want boss Tsai Eng-meng said the DPP was curtailing freedom of speech Tens of thousands of people in Taipei yesterday took part in the “Autumn Struggle” (秋鬥) — an annual protest march by labor groups — but with this year’s focus on rejecting the government’s plan to allow imports of US pork containing ractopamine residue. “Against poisonous pork, against double standards, against a party-state,” the protesters, mostly wearing black, chanted in front of the rally’s main stage on Ketagalan Boulevard at about noon, before a parade set off at 2pm. Autumn Struggle spokesperson Lee Chien-cheng (李建誠) said this year’s march was divided into three teams, with the first team urging food safety and labor
DEFENSE: The construction of indigenous submarines will be a testament to the nation’s commitment to safeguard its sovereignty, President Tsai Ing-wen said President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday presided over a ceremony to mark the start of construction of the nation’s first indigenous submarine at state-run shipbuilder CSBC Corp’s (台灣國際造船) shipyard in Kaohsiung. “This submarine is an important part of allowing our navy to develop asymmetric warfare and to intimidate and block enemy ships from surrounding Taiwan’s main island,” Tsai said. “With the construction of the submarine to its future commission, we will certainly let the world know our persistence in safeguarding our sovereignty.” Tsai has made boosting the nation’s indigenous defense capacity a central pillar of her defense policy. She recently relaunched the
‘JOINT UNDERSTANDING’: The two sides are to cooperate on semiconductors, given the sector’s potential for significant benefits, Minister Without Portfolio John Deng said Taiwan and the US on Friday held talks on strengthening their economic relationship, and have identified the semiconductor industry as the top mutual priority in economic cooperation. The talks, under the auspices of the new Economic Prosperity Partnership (EPP) Dialogue, were held virtually and partly in person in Washington, led on the US side by US Undersecretary of State for Economic Growth, Energy and the Environment Keith Krach, who visited Taipei in September. Deputy Minister of Economic Affairs Chen Chern-chyi (陳正祺) led a delegation to Washington for the discussions. In Taipei, a news conference was held at 10am yesterday at the Executive