E Ink Holdings Inc (元太科技), the world’s sole supplier of e-paper displays, yesterday said it plans to start mass-producing advanced color e-paper (ACeP) displays early next year, aimed at the public information display market.
The company has been investing in the development of ACeP to broaden the adoption of e-paper displays, which are mainly used for e-readers and electronic shelf labels, to boost revenue.
“Public information display is our first target market, given its relatively slower response time,” company president Johnson Lee (李政昊) said on the sidelines of the annual Touch Taiwan 2018 Display International Exhibition at the Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center.
The company plans to produce 13-inch advanced color e-paper displays, using its Advanced Color ePaper technology, E Ink said.
The color displays can be pieced together to make a bigger display wall for commercial use, it said.
The new e-paper displays are expected to start contributing to revenues next year, it said.
About 70 percent of the company’s first-half revenue of NT$6.51 billion (US$212 million) came from e-paper displays for e-readers, while the remaining 30 percent came from electronic shelf labels.
E Ink currently only produces e-papers with three colors.
Three-color e-paper displays accounted for 40 percent of the company’s total shipments in terms of square meters, it said.
The company yesterday showcased a series of new e-paper displays for different applications, including for smart bus stations and eNotebooks at the trade show.
It also featured e-paper displays for bedheads and medicine infusion displays, which it said have been introduced to major hospitals in the nation, including National Taiwan University Hospital.
HSBC Bank (Taiwan) Ltd (匯豐台灣商銀) has approved two sustainability-linked loans totaling NT$450 million (US$15.55 million) for Taya Group (大亞集團) and Sinbon Electronics Co (信邦電子), the bank said yesterday, adding that interest rates would fall if the borrowers’ sustainability performance improves. Those marked the first sustainability-linked loans granted by HSBC Taiwan, it said. While HSBC Taiwan has experience providing green loans for the nation’s developers of renewable energy sources to support their projects, the bank began focusing on sustainability-linked loans to meet rising demand from companies in other sectors planning to undertake sustainability programs, it said. “As we reward our clients who reach their
‘NEW TRAVEL MARKET’: The carrier initially planned to lay off about 8,000 people globally, but after government intervention reduced that to 18 percent of its workforce Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd (國泰航空) would cut 6,000 jobs and close its Cathay Dragon brand, the South China Morning Post reported, as part of a strategic review to combat the unprecedented damage caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Hong Kong-based airline is expected to officially announce the plan after the market close today, the newspaper said. It initially planned about 8,000 layoffs globally, but after government intervention reduced that to 18 percent of its total workforce, including about 5,000 jobs in Hong Kong, it said. The company, which posted a HK$9.9 billion (US$1.3 billion) loss in the first half, has for months
V-SHAPED RECOVERY: Local tech firms have benefited from strong demand for 5G deployment and electronic devices required for a low-contact economy, CIER said The Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research (CIER, 中華經濟研究院) yesterday raised its forecast for the nation’s GDP growth this year to 1.76 percent, from its previous estimate of 1.33 percent, saying exports and private consumption have staged a V-shaped recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic in the second half of the year. “The upgrade aims to reflect the fast recovery in Taiwan’s exports and domestic demand,” CIER president Chang Chuang-chang (張傳章) told a media briefing. The Taipei-based think tank said the economy might have expanded 2.77 percent last quarter — emerging from a 0.78 percent decline in the second quarter — and would grow
Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) founder Terry Gou (郭台銘) yesterday said that the company remains committed to its project in Wisconsin, but appeared to condition its completion on the receipt of state incentives, the Wall Street Journal reported. Gou said in a statement that Hon Hai, known as Foxconn Technology Group (富士康科技集團) outside of Taiwan, remains committed to its investment, although “market conditions and the COVID-19 pandemic” have altered the timing of its expansion and the specifics of its manufacturing plans. The company has over the past three years invested US$750 million to transform southeastern Wisconsin into a high-tech