Sydney is imposing new taxes on foreigners buying homes, as concerns grow that a flood of mostly Chinese investors is crowding out locals and killing the “Great Australian Dream” of owning property.
Ownership rates across the country are among the highest in developed nations, with having your own house long viewed as a key aspect of Australian identity.
However, as prices rise to record levels — Sydney is ranked second only to Hong Kong as major cities with the world’s least affordable housing — new potential homeowners have been increasingly forced out of the market with foreigners blamed as a key factor.
Photo: AFP
“The governments want to respond to a perception about housing affordability and the impact of foreign investment on that,” KPMG Australia’s indirect tax specialist Michelle Bennett told reporters.
“[Politicians] are raising money from people who aren’t voting, so superficially you can understand that it’s possibly not bad politics,” she added, but warned the measures could be a “blunt instrument” that could hurt the market.
Last year, leading apartment developer Lend Lease Corp sold out more than A$600 million (US$444 million) worth of new units in Sydney’s Darling Harbour in under five hours, with the Australian Financial Review reporting that one-third of buyers were foreign.
Lend Lease said the sale broke local records, but such reports have also fueled calls for government action to protect Australian buyers.
In response, the New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland state governments have introduced or are set to slap new property and land taxes on foreign buyers, sparking an outcry from developers fearful that they will flee to other markets, such as New Zealand and Canada.
“It is very bad. Without the Chinese nothing would ever get built,” Harry Triguboff, the country’s richest man and head of prominent developer Meriton, told the Australian Financial Review this week. “Never mind the bullshit stories, sales volumes have already dropped and prices are coming down steadily. The Chinese buyers are already disappearing.”
Analysts say Australia is an appealing market particularly after Hong Kong and Singapore introduced a 15 percent property tax on non-local buyers and as the Australian dollar weakened against other currencies.
The proposed tax in Sydney’s New South Wales state to be announced this week would be only 4 percent, in Queensland it is 3 percent and in Victoria 7 percent.
The island continent experienced an average 7.25 percent annual housing growth over the past three decades according to the central bank, attracting Chinese investment into commercial and residential real estate.
Chinese invested A$4.2 billion in 2011 to 2012, rising to A$24.3 billion in 2014 to last year according to Australia’s Foreign Investment Review Board, making them the largest overseas buyers.
Housing affordability, and the role of property investors, has been a key battleground ahead of national elections on July 2.
However, with housing prices appearing to be coming off the boil and the economy transitioning away from a mining boom, analysts said the state taxes could backfire.
“It’ll have ramifications down the track when the market goes through a pretty significant downturn in terms of construction and developers are finding it hard to get projects going,” BIS Shrapnel’s managing director Robert Mellor said.
Signs of a softening housing market could also be why states appear to be trying to “grab some revenue while it’s on offer,” leading property data provider CoreLogic’s Australia research head Cameron Kusher said.
Meanwhile, there are question marks about whether current data adequately captures the full extent of foreign investment in Australian real estate, with some statistics not delineating between commercial and residential property purchases.
In one estimate, University of Sydney researchers last year said offshore Chinese purchases only totaled 2 percent of all transactions in 2014 out of overall residential home sales of A$270 billion, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
Despite the new tax hurdles, Kusher expects long-term Chinese housing investment to continue.
“The people that are buying for the long term... maybe at some point to migrate to Australia, I don’t think it would act as too much of a deterrent for them,” he said.
Shares of contract chipmaker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) came under pressure yesterday after a report that Apple Inc is looking to shift some orders from the Taiwanese company to Intel Corp. TSMC shares fell NT$55, or 2.4 percent, to close at NT$2,235 on the local main board, Taiwan Stock Exchange data showed. Despite the losses, TSMC is expected to continue to benefit from sound fundamentals, as it maintains a lead over its peers in high-end process development, analysts said. “The selling was a knee-jerk reaction to an Intel-Apple report over the weekend,” Mega International Investment Services Corp (兆豐國際投顧) analyst Alex Huang
TRANSITION: With the closure, the company would reorganize its Taiwanese unit to a sales and service-focused model, Bridgestone said Bridgestone Corp yesterday announced it would cease manufacturing operations at its tire plant in Hsinchu County’s Hukou Township (湖口), affecting more than 500 workers. Bridgestone Taiwan Co (台灣普利司通) said in a statement that the decision was based on the Tokyo-based tire maker’s adjustments to its global operational strategy and long-term market development considerations. The Taiwanese unit would be reorganized as part of the closure, effective yesterday, and all related production activities would be concluded, the statement said. Under the plan, Bridgestone would continue to deepen its presence in the Taiwanese market, while transitioning to a sales and service-focused business model, it added. The Hsinchu
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) has approved a capital budget of US$31.28 billion for production expansion to meet long-term development needs during the artificial intelligence (AI) boom. The company’s board meeting yesterday approved the capital appropriation plan for purposes such as the installation of advanced technology capacity and fab construction, the world’s largest contract chipmaker said in a statement. At an earnings conference last month, TSMC forecast that its capital expenditure for this year would be at the higher end of the US$52 billion to US$56 billion range it forecast in January in response to robust demand for 5G, AI and
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s (TSMC, 台積電) investment project in Arizona has progressed better than expected, but it still faces challenges such as water and labor shortages, National Development Council (NDC) Minister Yeh Chun-hsien (葉俊顯) said yesterday. Speaking with reporters after visiting TSMC’s Arizona hub and attending the SelectUSA Investment Summit in Maryland last week, Yeh said TSMC’s Arizona site turned a profit of NT$16.14 billion (US$514 million) last year in its first full year of mass production. “TSMC told me it was surprised by the smooth trial run of the first fab, which has left the company optimistic about the project’s outlook,”