Warnings are stacking up fast after China’s eye-popping steel rally. Fitch Ratings Inc said prices lifted in part by heightened speculation are destined to slump, while a bank in Singapore flagged the risk of a boom-bust cycle reminiscent of China’s equity market.
The rapid advance is not sustainable as mills are expected to bring back idled capacity, raising supply, Fitch said in a report released yesterday.
Price gains have been driven by a seasonal recovery in activity that has been exacerbated by increased speculation in the futures market, according to analyst Laura Zhai.
Steel prices have surged this year, with rebar up 47 percent, after policymakers in China talked up growth and added stimulus, helping to lift property prices and ignite a speculative frenzy. The gains have helped to restore mills’ profitability, boosting their incentive to increase output. Singapore-based Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp (OCBC) yesterday warned that there might be parallels between the sudden jump in steel trading and last year’s performance in equities, citing the potential for a boom-bust scenario.
“The rapid increase in Chinese steel prices so far this year is not sustainable, as it is largely due to a seasonal pickup in construction and elevated speculation in the steel futures market,” Fitch said. “With prices now surging, many of the suspended plants have resumed production.”
SURGING FUTURES
Futures for rebar extended gains in after-hours trade on Friday, rallying as much as 6.2 percent to 2,781 yuan (US$428.15) per metric tonne on the Shanghai Futures Exchange (SHFE), before trading 0.4 percent higher yesterday. The price of the product used to strengthen concrete advanced for an 11th week through Friday last week, adding 14 percent.
Steel output in the world’s largest supplier might see a further increase this month as more furnaces are fired up, according to Fitch. Production in March rose 2.9 percent to a record 70.65 million tonnes from a year earlier, according to figures from China’s National Bureau of Statistics.
To cool the spike in trading, the SHFE last week increased transaction fees, while the Dalian Commodity Exchange, which has an iron ore contract, raised margin requirements. The bourse in Dalian also tightened rules on what it called abnormal trading, which now includes frequent submission and withdrawal of orders.
REBAR HOLDINGS
The surge in prices, which also included hot-rolled coil, has unfolded against a backdrop of lower-than-usual inventories after mills cut output last year. China’s rebar inventory shrank 7.3 percent last week to 4.32 million tonnes as of Friday last week, according to Shanghai Steelhome Information Technology Co (上海鋼之家信息科技). This time last year, it was at 6.66 million tonnes.
Goldman Sachs Group Inc on Friday said that while rebar has been “leading the charge” in commodities this year, there is not yet a sustainable shift in the fundamentals. It also forecast losses in iron ore, used to make steel, seeing a drop to US$35 a tonne by year’s end. The benchmark price for 62 percent content ore delivered to Qingdao was at US$66.33 a dry tonne on Friday after sinking 5.9 percent, according to Metal Bulletin Ltd.
“The recent broad-based rally in commodity futures was the result of two factors, including increasing belief that China will continue to rely on infrastructure and property sectors to support the growth as well as ample liquidity,” OCBC said.
The risk of a correction cannot be ruled out, it warned.
European Central Bank (ECB) President Christine Lagarde is expected to step down from her role before her eight-year term ends in October next year, the Financial Times reported. Lagarde wants to leave before the French presidential election in April next year, which would allow French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz to find her replacement together, the report said, citing an unidentified person familiar with her thoughts on the matter. It is not clear yet when she might exit, the report said. “President Lagarde is totally focused on her mission and has not taken any decision regarding the end of
French President Emmanuel Macron told a global artificial intelligence (AI) summit in India yesterday he was determined to ensure safe oversight of the fast-evolving technology. The EU has led the way for global regulation with its Artificial Intelligence Act, which was adopted in 2024 and is coming into force in phases. “We are determined to continue to shape the rules of the game... with our allies such as India,” Macron said in New Delhi. “Europe is not blindly focused on regulation — Europe is a space for innovation and investment, but it is a safe space.” The AI Impact Summit is the fourth
AUSPICIOUS TIMING: Ostensibly looking to spike the guns of domestic rivals, ByteDance launched the upgrade to coincide with the Lunar New Year China’s ByteDance Ltd (字節跳動) has rolled out its Doubao 2.0 model, an upgrade of the country’s most widely used artificial-intelligence (AI) app, the company announced on Saturday. ByteDance is one of several Chinese firms hoping to generate overseas and domestic buzz around its new AI models during the Lunar New Year holiday, which began yesterday, when hundreds of millions of Chinese partake in family gatherings in their hometowns. The company, like rival Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (阿里巴巴), was caught off-guard by DeepSeek’s (深度求索) meteoric rise to global fame during last year’s Spring Festival, when Silicon Valley and investors worldwide were
Advanced Micro Devices Inc (AMD) is partnering with Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) to deploy the US chipmaker’s latest artificial intelligence (AI) data center technology in India, challenging Nvidia Corp in one of the world’s fastest-growing markets. AMD is to offer its Helios data center blueprint and work with TCS to support up to 200 megawatts of AI infrastructure capacity in India, the companies said in a statement on Monday. “AI adoption is accelerating from pilots to large-scale deployments, and that shift requires a new blueprint for compute infrastructure,” AMD chief executive officer Lisa Su (蘇姿丰) said in the statement. “Together with