Taiwan’s HTC Corp (宏達電) is no longer among the world’s top five smartphone vendors following a drop in sales last quarter, surpassed by Huawei Technologies Co (華為) of China and Sony Mobile Communications International AB of Japan, according to a US-based research firm.
Huawei jumped to the third spot with a 4.9 percent share of the market in the fourth quarter of last year, trailed by Sony Mobile with 4.5 percent and China’s ZTE Corp (中興) with a 4.3 percent market share, the International Data Corp (IDC) reported on Jan. 24.
South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co remained the top player with a 29 percent market share, while second-placed Apple Inc extended its share to 21.8 percent thanks to record iPhone shipments in the fourth quarter of last year, IDC said.
The research firm did not disclose fourth-quarter figures for HTC, which ranked fifth with a 4 percent market share in the third quarter.
The worldwide smartphone market grew 36.4 percent from a year ago to 219.4 million units in the fourth quarter, which represented 45.5 percent of all mobile phone shipments, the highest percentage ever, IDC said.
“The high-growth smartphone market, though dominated by Samsung and Apple, still presents ample opportunities for challengers,” IDC’s senior research analyst Kevin Restivo said. “Vendors with unique market advantages, such as lower-cost devices, can rapidly gain market shares, especially in emerging markets.”
For last year as a whole, HTC was ranked as the world’s No. 4 smartphone producer, with shipments of 32.6 million units and a 4.6 percent market share, though both were down sharply from the 43.6 million units and 8.8 percent share in 2011, the report said.
Samsung and Apple retained their positions as the top two vendors, taking a 30.3 percent and a 19.1 percent share of the market respectively, with Finnish handset maker Nokia Oyj ranking third with a 4.9 percent market share, the report showed.
South Korean prosecutors yesterday summoned Samsung Electronics Co vice chairman Jay Y. Lee for questioning in an investigation into alleged accounting fraud and a controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates, dealing another legal blow to the country’s largest corporation. While expected, the decision marked a deepening of a long-running probe into the billionaire scion and his shipbuilding-to-smartphones Samsung Group conglomerate. The company’s de facto leader was called into Seoul Central District Prosecutors Office at 8am in relation to allegations over illegal acts in succession plans, the Yonhap News Agency reported. Lee has been at the center of a years-long scandal
British no-frills airline EasyJet PLC yesterday said that it would axe up to 4,500 jobs, or almost one-third of its workforce, as the COVID-19 pandemic ravages demand and grounds global air travel. “We are planning to reduce the size of our fleet, and to optimize the network and our bases. As a result, we anticipate reducing staff numbers by up to 30 percent across the business and we will continue to remove cost and noncritical expenditure at every level,” EasyJet CEO Johan Lundgren said in a statement. The job cuts would affect up to 4,500 of the carrier’s 15,000 staff, a spokesman
BEIGE BOOK: The US Federal Reserve’s report said that while many contacts were hopeful of a pickup in overall activity, they were pessimistic on the pace of recovery Businesses across the US surveyed by the US Federal Reserve do not appear to share the optimism of US President Donald Trump’s administration about a rapid economic recovery starting this summer. The Fed on Wednesday released a report that draws on business contacts from the central bank’s 12 regions and details the economic damage last month and this month, as measures to combat the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic took hold. The report, known as the Beige Book, cited business contacts who were less sanguine about the economy’s outlook than the administration. Trump has forecast “some great numbers” in the final three
Apple Inc is to begin reopening its retail stores in Japan this week, one of its most important markets, after the stores had been shuttered for months due to COVID-19. Two locations — the stores in Fukuoka and Nagoya Sakae — are to reopen tomorrow, according to the company’s retail Web site. Reopening dates for the country’s eight other Apple stores have not yet been posted. In September last year, Apple opened its latest and largest outlet in Tokyo’s Marunouchi business district, close to the historic Tokyo Station and the Imperial Palace. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe yesterday told a nationally televised