HTC Corp (宏達電), the world’s fifth-largest smartphone brand, reported two deaths and seven injuries in a building collapse at a Taoyuan construction site yesterday.
A support beam between the second and first floors of a building under construction buckled at 9:35am, causing the seven-story structure to collapse, killing two contract workers. Seven others were injured and rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency treatment, a company statement said.
The accident occurred at a facility expansion site near HTC’s Taoyuan headquarters. The firm announced in April that it would spend NT$1.77 billion (US$61.6 million) to buy eight plots of land for the expansion plan.
The Council of Labor Affairs’ Labor Safety and Health Department said the new facility had been built up to a height of 28m, or seven stories. The structure collapsed because of poor design and lower-than-required strength in the steel materials connecting the first and second floors, inspectors said.
HTC said the accident would not have any impact on its business operations, adding that it was working with the site contractor to ensure safety before resuming the project.
HTC has embarked on an aggressive expansion plan this year to cope with rising demand for its mobile phones. Its smartphone shipments more than doubled to 24.6 million units last year from 11.7 million units in 2009.
In the first quarter, the firm shipped 9.7 million smartphones — a quarterly figure that neared 40 percent of last year’s total shipments.
HTC CEO Peter Chou (周永明) said earlier this year that the firm would double production capacity at its Shanghai facilities to 2 million handsets a month, in addition to the new facility being built in Taoyuan.
“We may outsource production to leverage other contract makers’ capacity. This will give us flexibility,” Chou also said, without naming potential partners.
News of the accident came a day after HTC released its second-quarter sales figures of NT$124.4 billion, beating its earlier forecast of NT$120 billion.
That was double its second-quarter sales for last year, and a rise of 19.4 percent from the first three months.
Market analysts viewed its decision to release sales figures on the third day of the month instead of the sixth day, as usual, as a move to appease investors’ concerns.
Investors were worried about its future shipments because analysts said HTC was procuring fewer components from suppliers. The Sunday release boosted HTC’s shares by 4.5 percent, closing at NT$1,055 on the Taipei Stock Exchange yesterday — the highest level in a week. The stock has climbed 17 percent this year and peaked at NT$1,300 on April 28.
Chou last month said HTC had indeed stocked up on components from suppliers in the wake of Japan’s earthquake and tsunami on March 11, which caused supply shortages.
However, it now has a steady stream of supplies and therefore procurement orders had returned to normal.
Full second-quarter earnings will be announced tomorrow.
Additional reporting by CNA
SELF-SUFFICIENCY: Alibaba is one of a number of Chinese firms that has answered Beijing’s call to invest in the development of cutting-edge technologies Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (阿里巴巴) yesterday unveiled a new server chip that is based on advanced 5-nanometer technology, marking a milestone in China’s pursuit of semiconductor self-sufficiency. The Chinese tech giant’s newest chip is based on micro-architecture provided by the SoftBank Group Corp-owned Arm Ltd, it said. Alibaba, which is holding its annual cloud summit in Hangzhou, China, said that the chip is to be used in its own data centers in the “near future” and would not, for the time being, be sold commercially. “Customizing our own server chips is consistent with our ongoing efforts toward boosting our computing capabilities with better
Production at Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corp’s (TSMC, 台積電) fabs was not affected by a fire at a construction site for a water recycling facility in the Southern Taiwan Science Park in Tainan. The world’s biggest contract chipmaker said that the construction site is not adjacent to its fabs, which were unaffected. CTCI Corp (中鼎工程) is responsible for the construction of the facility, which it is to operate itself once it is completed, the chipmaker said. The facility caught fire at about 11am, and the blaze was brought under control about 30 minutes after the incident was reported, the Southern Taiwan Science Park Administration
‘SHORT-TERM ECONOMIC PAIN’: A military takeover would only temporarily weigh on wafer production on both sides of the Taiwan Strait, IC Insights said Taiwan has more chip manufacturing capacity than any other economy in the world, US-based market information advisory firm IC Insights said in a research paper last week, cautioning that the nation’s strength could prompt China to attempt to take over Taiwan. Taiwan commanded 21.4 percent of global installed IC capacity, ahead of South Korea’s 20.4 percent, Japan’s 15.8 percent and China’s 15.3 percent, North America’s 12.6 percent and Europe’s 5.7 percent, IC Insights said. Taiwan is one of two countries that uses 10-nanometer technology or better to produce wafers, holding 62.8 percent of global capacity, with South Korea holding the remaining 37.2
AGGRESSIVE STEP: With the new processors, Apple is aiming at the high-end chips Intel has provided for the MacBook Pro and other top-end Macs for about 15 years Apple Inc on Monday took the most aggressive step yet to strip Intel Corp chips from its computers, announcing more powerful homegrown Mac processors alongside a total revamp of its MacBook Pro laptop computers. The company showcased the chips at an event called “Unleashed,” which also included its latest audio products. The new components, called the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, are 70 percent faster than its M1 predecessors, Apple said. It also unveiled a redesigned MacBook Pro, adding larger screens, MagSafe charging and better resolution. With the new processors and devices, Apple is aiming squarely at the high-end chips that Intel has