Citi sells off last Fubon stake
Citigroup has divested its remaining holdings in Fubon Financial Holding Co (富邦金控), the nation's fourth-biggest financial group said yesterday.
Fubon president Victor Kung (龔天行) said that since the two groups called off their strategic alliance in June 2004, Citigroup has gradually offloaded its stockholding in Fubon.
On July 12, the US bank sold 118 million common shares to foreign institutional investors, followed by its final move last Thursday to sell more than 99 million global depositary shares, reducing its holding in the Taiwanese rival to zero.
Acer chief pans Windows Vista
The head of Taiwan-based PC maker Acer, Gianfranco Lanci, hit out at Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system, calling it a big disappointment.
"The entire industry is disappointed by Windows Vista," the head of the world's fourth-biggest PC maker told the Financial Times Deutschland in its online edition yesterday.
Never before had a new version of Windows done so little to boost PC sales.
"And that's not going to change in the second half of this year," Lanci said.
"I really don't think that someone has bought a new PC specifically for Vista," he said.
While the industry had waited years for Vista, the software was not really ready when it was launched to great pomp at the start of this year, Lanci said.
"Stability is certainly a problem," he said.
ASE, NXP team up in China
Global IC testing and packaging giant Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASE, 日月光半導體) and NXP Semiconductors of the Netherlands will invest an initial US$36 million in a joint venture in China, the Taiwanese company said yesterday.
ASE will take a 60 percent stake in the project in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, while NXP will hold the remaining 40 percent, it said.
The joint venture, expected to begin operations later this year, is to provide packaging and testing services, the spokesman said.
"The US$36 million will be an initial investment. We are expecting to put more funds into the project but the amount will depend on market conditions," he said.
HTC joining top brands list
High Tech Computer Corp (HTC, 宏達電), the world's largest maker of handsets using Windows operating system, is joining the nation's list of top 20 brands.
HTC, which recently ventured into the own-brand business with the launch of "HTC Touch,"a touchscreen phone, is one of the newcomers in the roster of top local brands that offer the most value.
The top companies will be formally announced on Thursday by the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Taiwan External Trade Development Council (外貿協會).
Other names in the top 20 list include Acer Inc, Advantech Co (研華), Asustek Computer Inc (華碩電腦), BenQ Corp (明基), D-Link Corp (友訊科技), Depo Auto Parts Industrial Co (帝寶工業) and Giant Manufacturing Co (巨大機械)
Biotech begins on Thursday
Bio Taiwan, an exhibition showcasing the latest biotech innovations and products, will start its four-day run on Thursday at Taipei World Trade Center Exhibition Hall I.
More than 300 exhibitors from the public and private sectors occupying more than 700 booths will display medical equipment, health food, skincare products, including an expensive golden facial mask priced at NT$8,000 each, and other biotech applications, organizer Taiwan Bio Industry Organization (中華民國生物產業發展協會) said at a press conference yesterday.
NO VIRUS BLUES: A SEMI Taiwan official said that the virus does not slow down the global semiconductor industry’s investment in manufacturing equipment The production value of the nation’s semiconductor industry is expected to grow 16.7 percent this year from last year, outpacing the global industry’s 3.3 percent growth, industry association SEMI said yesterday. That would help Taiwan safeguard its second spot in the global semiconductor market with a production value of more than NT$3 trillion (US$102.73 billion), SEMI Taiwan president Terry Tsao (曹世綸) told a media briefing in Taipei for the Semicon Taiwan trade show beginning today. The global semiconductor industry’s production value is expected to increase to US$426 billion this year, SEMI said. In terms of semiconductor equipment investment, equipment billings from Taiwanese firms
Intel Corp has received licenses from US authorities to continue supplying certain products to Huawei Technologies Co (華為), a company spokesman said yesterday. Washington has been pushing governments around to world to squeeze out Huawei, saying that the telecom giant would hand data to Beijing for espionage. From Monday last week, new curbs have barred US companies from supplying or servicing Huawei. This week, the state-backed China Securities Journal reported that Intel had received permission to supply Huawei. China’s Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp (SMIC, 中芯國際), which uses US-origin equipment to make chips for Huawei and other companies, last week confirmed that it had sought
INVEST IN TAIWAN: A metal components casting firm and the world’s largest maker of aluminum bicycle rims also obtained approvals to join the program Solar Applied Materials Technology Co (SOLAR, 光洋應用材料), a part of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s (TSMC, 台積電) “green supply chain,” has pledged to invest NT$1 billion (US$34.1 million) to build a new plant at the Tainan Technology Industrial Park (台南科技工業區), the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. SOLAR has been collaborating with TSMC to extract precious metals from waste and reuse them as “sputtering target” material in high-end semiconductor manufacturing, a TSMC press release issued in May said. Established in 1978, SOLAR also offers key materials and integrated services to customers in the optoelectronics, information and communications technology, petrochemicals and consumer electronics industries,
‘SWARM TECH’: Joint venture FARobot is to develop autonomous mobile robots that would first be deployed in Hon Hai’s factories to optimize production efficiency Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) and Adlink Technology Inc (凌華科技) have formed a robotic venture that aims to use “swarm technology” to create robots that can communicate with one another on the factory floor to optimize production efficiency. Hon Hai is Apple Inc’s leading iPhone assembler and the world’s largest contract electronics maker, while Adlink supplies industrial computers and Internet of Things solutions. Through a subsidiary, Hyield Venture Capital Co (鴻揚創投), Hon Hai holds a 51 percent stake in autonomous mobile robot (AMR) developer FARobot (法博智能移動), while Adlink owns the remaining 49 percent. Together, the two companies put up NT$200