Japan’s finance minister said yesterday that aggressive public spending would be needed on a scale of possibly ¥20 trillion (US$208 billion) to wrest the economy out of a painful recession.
Finance Minister Kaoru Yosano, who also serves as financial services minister, acknowledged the government forecast for flat growth for fiscal 2009, ending on March 31 next year would probably have to be revised soon to account for the deep contraction seen in recent months.
Japan’s economy has been battered by the plunge in exports that continues unabated since the US financial crisis hit last year.
The IMF is expecting the Japanese economy to contract 5.8 percent for the current calendar year.
The Japanese government has said the economy contracted at an annual pace of 12.1 percent for the October-to-December quarter. Data show the slowdown is dragging into this year.
“Unless there is considerable recovery in the latter half, it would be hard to keep it within the forecast,” Yosano said on a nationally televised news program on TV Asahi.
Yosano said that the amount of spending wasn’t decided yet and experts need more data to decide on the right allocation, including where to spend the money.
The effort will also need to be discussed in parliament, Yosano said.
But Yosano said the numbers being tossed around in recent Japanese media reports of between ¥2 trillion and ¥3 trillion for the spending package weren’t enough to address the growing social woes such as unemployment.
“That is not enough to cope with what is happening in our society or is about to happen,” he said. “Speaking from a gut level feeling, ¥20 trillion is a good number.”
Japan’s unemployment rate stood at 4.1 percent in January, relatively high for a country that has valued stable employment for decades.
Worries are growing that this number will rise as companies go bankrupt and are hit with losses amid a global downturn.
Japan has already decided on a stimulus package of about ¥12 trillion, including tax breaks for companies, cash payout to individuals, assistance for businesses and reduced toll fees for roads, to try to fix the health of the world’s second-largest economy.
Also See: ‘Modest’ Japanese CEOs escape wrath
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats