General Motors Corp (GM) received its first multibillion dollar loan installment from the US Treasury Department on Wednesday night — in time to avert a financial disaster in which the struggling automaker may have been unable to sustain operations and pay suppliers.
The “Treasury today finalized the loan transaction for GM and funded the first tranche of [US]$4 billion,” US Treasury spokeswoman Brookly McLaughlin said in a written statement.
The funds are the first portion of US$9.4 billion in low-cost loans that GM is expected to receive from the government.
The Detroit automaker had been working feverishly with Treasury officials to close on the first loan installment. The money will be available for GM to use almost immediately.
The cash-strapped Detroit company plans to use the money for continuing its operations.
GM is obligated to a make a large payment to a major supplier early this month, but has declined to offer details on the amount of money it owes or to which supplier.
“We appreciate the Administration extending a financial bridge to GM at this critical time for the U.S. auto industry,” GM said in a written statement shortly after the US Treasury announcement. “We are committed to successfully executing the viability plan we submitted on December 2 and remain confident in the future of General Motors.”
The loans come from the US$700 billion bank rescue plan, approved by Congress in September.
US President George W. Bush said earlier this month that the ailing automakers could tap part of those funds in the form of low-interest loans.
GM is burning through approximately US$33 million a day, based on spending US$1 billion per month during the third quarter. That daily amount is likely lower for the fourth quarter as GM has reduced spending on operations, sponsorships, utilities and even office supplies.
GM previously said it might not make it through the end of the year before running out of cash without government aid.
Auburn Hills, Michigan-based Chrysler LLC is expecting US$4 billion in cash as well, but the Treasury has yet to announce the closing of the first round of loan money.
“We’re working expeditiously with Chrysler to finalize that transaction and we remain committed to closing it on a timeline that will meet near term funding needs,” McLaughlin said.
Chrysler is nearing the minimum level of cash — US$2.5 billion — it needs to operate. It is already fending off angry parts suppliers and other vendors demanding cash payments on delivery. It generally pays suppliers US$7 billion every 45 days.
Chrysler issued a statement on Wednesday night, updating the status of its talks with the Treasury Department.
“We recognize the magnitude of the effort by the Treasury Department to complete these multiple financial arrangements quickly and sequentially,” the company wrote in a press release. “The discussions relating to Chrysler have been positive and productive, and we look forward to finalizing the details of our financial assistance in the immediate future.”
Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford Motor Co said it did not intend to use government money to fund operations, as it is in a better financial position than its competitors.
The Detroit automakers are trying to weather the biggest auto sales slump in more than 26 years.
Shares of GM fell 15.8 percent on Wednesday, or US$0.60 to US$3.20, before the Treasury’s announcement. Shares of Ford closed unchanged at US$2.29.
Earlier this week, GM’s financial arm, GMAC Financial Services, received US$5 billion in aid from the Treasury Department. In addition, the Treasury said it would lend up to US$1 billion to GM so that the automaker would be able to buy more equity from GMAC.
Those purchases are expected to raise more capital for GMAC, and separate from the US$4 billion received from the Treasury on Wednesday.
TWO REPORTS: The body called on EU states to support the meaningful participation of Taiwan in international organizations, as well as closer cooperation with the nation The European Parliament has backed deepening ties with Taiwan and voiced concern about heightened tension across the Taiwan Strait in reports on two major security policies, which include a passage denying that Taiwan is subordinate to China. The parliament adopted the annual report on the implementation of the Common Foreign and Security Policy in a vote of 338 in favor, 86 against and 122 abstentions during a plenary session from Monday to yesterday. It also passed the annual report on the implementation of the Common Security and Defense Policy in a vote of 350 in favor, 91 against and 96 abstentions. “Neither Taiwan
NEVER FORGET: Feb. 28 is a day to demand justice and redress, and remember the long, hard road Taiwanese walked to democracy, Tainan Mayor Huang Wei-che said President-elect William Lai (賴清德) yesterday said he would work to safeguard the nation’s security and democracy to ensure freedom and economic prosperity, and that the tragic events of the 228 Incident “never happen in Taiwan again.” The Incident refers to the indiscriminate killing of a person in a crowd on Feb. 27, 1947, and the gunning down by the then-Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government of protesters at a resulting demonstration the next day. It was followed by a brutal crackdown. Estimates of the number of eventual deaths vary from 10,000 to more than 30,000. The Incident was closely followed by the White
CRITICAL COMPONENTS: The tail was shielded because ‘enemy forces’ could estimate its speed and acoustic fingerprint by observing the propellers, an analyst said The nation’s first domestically built submarine prototype, the Hai Kun (海鯤號), yesterday was transferred to a dry dock for final harbor acceptance tests. The prototype has been undergoing harbor acceptance tests at the factory of shipbuilder CSBC Corp, Taiwan (台灣國際造船) in Kaohsiung since October last year after an unveiling ceremony in late September. On Monday evening, the prototype was towed from the CSBC factory to nearby Jong Shyn floating dock No. 8 and then transferred to a nearby dry dock, where the final tests were being conducted. As the submarine was being moved out of the factory to the floating dock, a large
NATIONALITY ACT: The draft amendments include a new provision that allows guardians of children who are stateless to apply for nationality on their behalf The Cabinet yesterday approved draft amendments to the Nationality Act (國籍法) to ease residency requirements for some foreign professionals applying for naturalization and to allow social welfare agencies to apply for naturalization on behalf of stateless children who are residents. The proposed amendments were approved by the Cabinet in September last year, but had to be reapproved and resubmitted because of the new legislative term that began on Feb. 1. The Ministry of the Interior said that the draft amendments would help improve the retention of professional talent by cutting the required period of residency for “foreign high-level professionals” (外國高級專業人才) applying for