■ CELLPHONES
Nokia inks China contract
Nokia Oyj announced a deal yesterday to sell US$2 billion in handsets to China Postel this year, in the company's largest market. The world's No. 1 mobile phone maker said the deal includes the development of technological infrastructure and marketing with China Postel, with which it has worked since 1998. China Postel, a subsidiary of China P&T Appliances, has a market share of 30 percent in that country. Last year, Nokia sold more than 70 million mobile devices in China, an increase of 39 percent on 2006. Nokia, based in Espoo, Finland, has sales in 130 countries. It employs some 130,000 people worldwide.
■ FINANCE
China opens equity markets
Foreign financial institutions will again be allowed to invest in China's equity markets after the government ended a year-long suspension aimed at cooling the market, state media reported yesterday. China's regulators have given the green light to an unnamed sovereign wealth fund to invest under China's especially designated foreign investor plan, the official Shanghai Securities News said. "To encourage qualified overseas funds to invest in China's capital market for the long term, a foreign government fund has recently been granted the QFII qualification," said Hu Xiaolian (胡曉煉), China's foreign exchange chief.
■ CELLPHONES
Motorola replaces officer
Motorola Inc, seeking to regain sales lost to rivals, announced the departure of chief marketing officer Casey Keller, less than 18 months after he took the job. Keller left on Feb. 29, spokeswoman Jennifer Erickson said in an e-mail. Jeremy Dale and Eduardo Conrado will take over the job. Dale will manage handset marketing, while Conrado will focus on business customers. Chief executive officer Greg Brown has reshuffled the management team after Motorola's sales slid for four straight quarters and customers defected to Apple Inc and Nokia Oyj. Last month, Brown took direct charge of the phone division. He also named a new chief financial officer.
■ TELECOMS
Siemens to sell unit
German industrial group Siemens is in talks with several parties interested in buying its telecoms systems unit SEN, which faces a major restructuring, its chief executive said yesterday. "We want to sell SEN and are holding very advanced discussions with interested" parties, Peter Loescher said in an interview with Die Welt newspaper. Problems with SEN, Loescher said, "have been on the agenda at Siemens since mid-2006. It is time to clarify things, especially for the staff." SEN has lost more than US$1.5 billion in two years.
■ PATENTS
CeBIT stands raided
Scores of investigators raided 51 exhibitor stands at the CeBIT fair in Hannover, Germany, this week, looking for goods suspected of infringing patents, police said on Thursday. They carried off six cartons of documents and electronic goods including cellphones, navigation devices, digital picture frames and flat-screen monitors. Police said the reason for the extent of the raids was the high number of complaints from patent holders in the run up to the trade fair. Of the 51 companies raided, 24 were Chinese. Another 12 were Taiwanese companies and nine were German.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats