British Secretary of State for Defence John Healey met with counterparts from Baltic and Nordic nations to discuss seizing oil tankers linked to Russia’s shadow fleet, as Europe seeks to tighten curbs on Moscow’s war economy nearly four years after its invasion of Ukraine.
The meeting of the Joint Expeditionary Force (JEF), a group of 10 nations with a shared commitment to the North Atlantic and Baltic Sea, took place on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference, according to one of the participants and people familiar with the matter.
The gathering underscored a growing willingness among allied nations to do more to squeeze revenue funding Russian President Vladimir Putin’s war in Ukraine. Putin’s forces have made costly but steady gains in Ukraine in recent months.
Photo: AFP
“The atmosphere and the understanding was that we need to be more proactive,” Estonian Minister of Defense Hanno Pevkur said in an interview after joining the gathering. “The message is that the countries who give flags to the shadow fleet vessels need to know that there are measures that can be taken by other countries.”
More discussion would be needed before any decision is made, Pevkur said. Some members remain cautious given a “fear of escalation,” Estonian Minister of Foreign Affairs Margus Tsahkna said in a separate interview.
Healey was joined at the meeting by the head of the UK’s military, Richard Knighton, who presented options including joint seizure operations, according to the people, who asked not to be identified discussing private deliberations.
With such a move, the JEF would build on US interdiction of tankers moving to and from Venezuela — sometimes with the help of allies — in the wake of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s kidnapping. Several of those vessels have had ties to Russia.
It is unclear to what extent the US would be involved in the UK-led effort, but there would likely be some coordination, according to one of the people familiar with the matter. The interdictions of the Russia-linked vessels have prompted concern in Moscow, with Russian officials privately demanding that the US stop, the person said.
The shadow fleet is a group of about 1,500 tankers that use false flags to appear legitimate without having to comply with regulations. More than 600 tankers have been sanctioned by some combination of the EU, the UK and the US for their links to Russia.
Last month, 14 European nations warned that tankers in the Baltic and North Seas must sail under a single state’s flag. That was aimed at shadow fleet vessels that sometimes switch or fly under false flags.
On Jan. 7, the UK helped the US seize the oil tanker Marinera, which was sailing under a Russian flag, following a days-long chase after it left the Caribbean Sea. France’s navy boarded an oil tanker coming from Russia into the Mediterranean Sea on Jan. 22.
“While European actions are nibbling at the margins, a more concerted effort would raise the stakes, throttling access to the easiest routes to Asia,” Bloomberg economics analysts Chris Kennedy and Alex Kokcharov said.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told