A man who launched a car-ramming and stabbing attack on a British synagogue on Yom Kippur might have been inspired by Muslim extremism, police said on Friday, as emotions ran high after the atrocity.
Two people were killed and three seriously wounded in Thursday’s attack at the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue in Manchester, England, which has heightened fears among Britain’s Jewish community and seen security boosted at synagogues across the country.
However, police said one of the dead might have been inadvertently shot by armed officers. One of the wounded was also shot in the emergency response.
Photo: Reuters
The suspect, Jihad al-Shamie, 35, a British citizen of Syrian descent who was wearing a fake explosives vest, was also killed by police.
In a statement on Friday evening, Greater Manchester Police head of counter-terrorism policing Laurence Taylor said al-Shamie did not appear to have been on their radar, but had been arrested and bailed previously on suspicion of rape.
“At this stage, we believe al-Shamie may have been influenced by extreme Islamist ideology,” he added. “Establishing the full circumstances of the attack is likely to take some time.”
Six people — three men and three women — have been arrested on suspicion of terrorism-linked offences, police said.
Thursday’s attack was one of the worst anti-Semitic attacks to happen in Europe since the Oct. 7, 2023, assault on Israel led by Palestinian militant group Hamas, which sparked the war in Gaza.
That conflict has inflamed passions in Britain, with frequent pro-Palestinian rallies in cities criticized by some for stoking anti-Semitism and fear in Jewish communities.
The police admission that their officers shot two came as British Deputy Prime Minister David Lammy was booed at a vigil for the victims — Adrian Daulby, 53, and Melvin Cravitz, 66.
People could be heard chanting “shame on you” as Lammy was introduced.
“This was a dreadful attack, a terrorist attack to inflict fear, attacking Jews because they are Jews,” British Prime Minister Keir Starmer told a group of emergency responders in the city in northwest England.
Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Stephen Watson said earlier that an interior ministry pathologist had “provisionally determined that one of the deceased victims would appear to have suffered a wound consistent with a gunshot injury.”
Saying that the attacker was not believed to have had a gun, and that “the only shots fired were from ... authorized firearms officers,” Watson added the injury “may sadly have been sustained as a tragic and unforeseen consequence” of officers responding to the attack.
He added that the condition of the person who was wounded by gunshot was not life-threatening.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct watchdog said it is investigating “a fatal police shooting” to establish what had happened.
Watson said both gunshot victims “were close together behind the synagogue door, as worshippers acted bravely to prevent the attacker from gaining entry.”
The targeted synagogue’s leaders said on Friday that “it is hard to find the words to convey the depth of our community’s grief.”
Their statement added “the greatest tribute” to the victims “would be for communities right across the country to come together in peace and solidarity, to challenge the evil of anti-Semitism.”
Daulby’s family described him as a “hero” whose courage “prevented the attacker from gaining access to the premises.”
Manchester United soccer club was to hold a minute’s silence in honor of the victims at a game yesterday.
A “global movement for Gaza UK” protest went ahead in London late on Thursday, with police making 40 arrests.
London’s Met Police requested organizers delay another planned demonstration backing the banned Palestine Action group yesterday.
British Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood said Thursday’s rallies were “dishonorable” and criticized the weekend plans.
Israeli President Isaac Herzog on Friday echoed criticism of the British government, saying on LBC radio it appeared to tolerate “this very brutal, aggressive and violent behavior on the streets.”
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told