Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) is to host world leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, from Sunday for a summit before a huge military parade as he seeks to showcase a non-Western style of regional collaboration.
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit is to be held on Sunday and Monday next week, before a military parade on Wednesday next week in Beijing to mark 80 years since the end of World War II, which North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is to attend.
The parade would be Kim’s first visit to China in six years and would bring him together with a group of world leaders for the first time since taking office in late 2011.
Photo: AP
The SCO comprises China, India, Russia, Pakistan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Belarus — with 16 more countries affiliated as observers or “dialogue partners.” China and Russia have used the organization — sometimes touted as a counter to the Western-dominated NATO military alliance — to deepen ties with Central Asian states.
As China’s claim over Taiwan and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine have seen them clash with the US and Europe, analysts said the SCO is one forum where they are trying to win influence.
More than 20 leaders, including Iranian and Turkish presidents Masoud Pezeshkian and Recep Tayyip Erdogan, would attend the bloc’s largest meeting since its founding in 2001.
Hosting that many leaders gives Beijing a chance to “demonstrate convening power,” Asia Society Policy Institute fellow Lizzi Lee (李其) said.
However, substantial outcomes are not expected as the summit would be more about optics and agenda-setting, she said.
“The SCO runs by consensus, and when you have countries deeply divided on core issues like India and Pakistan, or China and India, in the same room, that naturally limits ambition,” Lee said.
Beijing wants to show it can bring diverse leaders together and reinforce the idea that global governance is “not Western-dominated,” she added.
Chinese Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs Liu Bin (劉彬) on Friday said that the summit would bring stability in the face of “hegemonism and power politics,” a veiled reference to the US.
Putin at the SCO summit would likely seek to demonstrate Russia’s continued support from non-Western partners to promote its narratives of the cause of its invasion of Ukraine and “how the ‘just’ end of the war will look like,” said Dylan Loh (駱明輝), an assistant professor at Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University.
“With Putin in the room, the war will hang over the proceedings,” but the topic of Ukraine would not be “front and center” of the summit, Lee said.
“The SCO avoids topics that divide members, and this one obviously does,” she said.
However, Putin would want to show that he “is not isolated, reaffirming the partnership with Xi, and keeping Russia visible in Eurasia,” she added.
Modi’s visit is his first to China since 2018.
The world’s two most populous nations are intense rivals competing for influence across South Asia and fought a deadly border clash in 2020.
A thaw began in October last year when Modi met with Xi for the first time in five years at a summit in Russia.
Caught in geopolitical turbulence triggered by Trump’s tariff war, they have moved to mend ties.
“China will try its very best to pull out all stops to woo India, particularly capitalizing on India’s trade issues with the US,” said Lim Tai Wei (林大偉), a professor and East Asia expert at Japan’s Soka University.
However, fundamental differences between the countries cannot be resolved easily, he added.
“Temporary respite or temperature-cooling, however, may be possible,” Lim said.
Modi was not on a list of attendees for the parade published by Chinese state media yesterday that included Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto and Burmese junta chief Senior General Min Aung Hlaing.
Modi did not attend Beijing’s 2015 parade.
Additional reporting by AP
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying