Venezuela’s ruling party on Sunday won the majority of mayoral seats in elections boycotted by the main opposition, coinciding with the anniversary of President Nicolas Maduro’s re-election last year.
The ruling United Socialist Party of Venezuela won 285 of 335 mayoralties, according to Maduro’s own projections, which he celebrated with supporters early yesterday in Caracas’ Bolivar Square.
“Victory, popular victory!” Maduro shouted. “Democracy and peace, the unity of the people, have triumphed.”
Photo: EPA
The country’s electoral authority, accused of loyalty to Maduro, put turnout at 44 percent.
That represents just more than 6 million voters, although polling stations in several cities showed low turnout throughout the day.
In one year, Maduro has won the presidency, absolute control of parliament, 23 of 24 governorships, and now municipal power.
Opposition leader Maria Corina Machado, whose candidate lost to Maduro in the presidential election last year, said on X: “What happened between July 28, 2024, and today?”
“That day, 70 percent of the country voted for EDMUNDO GONZALEZ, and today, 90 percent said NO to MADURO,” referring to what she said was the abstention rate.
A dissident wing of Machado’s movement participated in the elections and, according to Maduro, won 50 mayoralties.
“The new opposition,” the president said, while the opposition leader branded them Maduro collaborators.
Maduro was planning to lead a demonstration yesterday to celebrate the anniversary of his victory, which the US and a dozen other countries did not recognize.
“Maduro is NOT the President of Venezuela and his regime is NOT the legitimate government,” US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on X on Sunday, calling the president the leader of a “narco-terror” organization.
This month, Washington and Caracas negotiated a prisoner swap that saw the release of 10 Americans and US residents imprisoned in Venezuela for 252 Venezuelan migrants detained in a notorious prison in El Salvador.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding