A former surgeon was yesterday to stand trial in France for the alleged rape or sexual abuse of 299 victims, most of them children who were his patients, in what investigators and his own notebooks describe as a pattern of violence spanning more than three decades.
Joel Le Scouarnec, now 74, is to face hundreds of victims during a four-month trial in Vannes, France. He faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted, on top of 15 years he has been serving after being found guilty in 2020 of rape and sexual assault of children.
He does not deny the allegations, although he says that he does not remember everything. Some survivors have no memory of the assaults, having been unconscious at the time.
Photo: EPA-EFE
Le Scouarnec’s trial comes as activists are pushing to lift taboos surrounding sexual abuse in France. The most prominent case was that of Gisele Pelicot, who was drugged and raped by her ex-husband and dozens of other men who were convicted and sentenced in December last year to prison terms ranging from three to 20 years.
Child protection and women’s rights groups, and medical community associations called for a rally yesterday in front of the courthouse where Le Scouarnec is being tried.
The case began in 2017, when a six-year-old neighbor said Le Scouarnec had touched her over the fence separating their properties.
A subsequent search of his home uncovered more than 300,000 photographs, 650 pedophilic, zoophilic and scatological video files, as well as notebooks where he described himself as a pedophile and detailed his actions, according to investigation documents.
Le Scouarnec in 2020 was convicted of rape and sexual assault of four children, including two nieces, and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.
He had admitted to child abuse dating to 1985 and 1986, but some cases could not be prosecuted because the statute of limitations had expired.
The Vannes trial is to examine alleged rapes and other abuses committed between 1989 and 2014 against 158 men and 141 women who were on average aged 11 at the time.
The doctor sexually abused both boys and girls when they were alone in their hospital rooms, according to investigation documents.
“I didn’t really remember the operation. I remembered the post-operation, a surgeon who was quite mean,” one of the victims, Amelie Leveque, said of her time in hospital when she was nine years old in 1991. “I cried a lot.”
Years later, she described feeling overwhelmed when she learned that her name appeared in Le Scouarnec’s notebooks.
“That was the beginning of the answers to a lifetime of questions, and then it was the beginning of the descent into hell,” she told public broadcaster France 3. “I felt like I had lost control of everything. I wasn’t crazy, but now I had to face the truth of what had happened. I fell into a deep depression... My family tried to help, but I felt completely alone.”
Le Scouarnec had already been convicted in 2005 for possessing and importing child sexual abuse material and sentenced to four months of suspended prison time. Despite that, he was appointed as a hospital practitioner the following year.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding