A dozen leaders from Europe and Canada yesterday visited Ukraine’s capital to mark the third anniversary of Russia’s invasion in a show of support for Kyiv by some of its most important backers.
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau were among the visitors greeted at the railway station by Ukrainian Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrii Sybiha and the president’s chief of staff Andrii Yermak.
Von der Leyen wrote on social media that Europe was in Kyiv “because Ukraine is in Europe.”
Photo: AFP
“In this fight for survival, it is not only the destiny of Ukraine that is at stake. It’s Europe’s destiny,” she wrote.
The guests, also including European Council President Antonio Costa as well as the prime ministers of northern European nations and Spain, were set to attend events dedicated to the anniversary and discuss supporting the nation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy amid a policy shift by Washington under US President Donald Trump.
In the latest sign of Europe’s efforts to rework its strategy on Ukraine to respond to Trump’s actions, Costa on Sunday announced that he would convene an emergency summit of the 27 EU leaders in Brussels on March 6, with Ukraine at the top of the agenda.
Photo: Reuters
“We are living a defining moment for Ukraine and European security,” Costa wrote on social media.
The three-year mark of the war in Ukraine came at a sensitive moment for Kyiv as Zelenskiy navigates a rapidly changing international environment upended by Trump’s changes to the US approach to the war.
Trump has sought to follow through on his campaign promises to end the war quickly, although his methods for doing so have alarmed many in Ukraine and Europe, who believe that his approach is too conciliatory toward Russia and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Saturday said that preparations for a face-to-face meeting between Trump and Putin were underway, and US officials have said that they had agreed with Moscow to re-establish diplomatic ties and restart economic cooperation.
Russian Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Sergei Ryabkov on Sunday told TASS news agency that Moscow and Washington would continue bilateral talks at the end of next week, adding that “quite a lot” of contact was ongoing.
Leaders across the EU, fearing both that Trump’s approach to Ukraine would lead to an unfavorable settlement for Kyiv and that they — among Ukraine’s most important supporters — would be sidelined in negotiations for peace, have rushed to assert their own response to the rapidly shifting environment.
EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Kaja Kallas yesterday said that the US cannot seal any peace deal to end the war without Ukraine or Europe being involved.
She highlighted what she claimed were pro-Russian positions being taken up by the Trump administration.
“You can discuss whatever you want with Putin, but if it comes to Europe or Ukraine, then Ukraine and Europe also have to agree to this deal,” Kallas told reporters in Brussels, where she was chairing a meeting of EU foreign ministers.
Kallas travels to Washington today for talks with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Asked whether the US administration is acting in the interests of Russia or Ukraine’s Western backers, she said: “If you look at the messages that come from the United States, then it’s clear that the Russian narrative is there very strongly represented.”
Kallas rejected Trump’s earlier assertion that Zelenskiy was a dictator for not having held elections after his term expired last year, saying: “Russia hasn’t had elections in 25 years.”
Ukrainian law prohibits elections being held while martial law is in place, and Zelenksiy on Sunday said that after martial law is lifted “there will be elections and people will make their choice.”
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding