In a workshop outside Paris, Celine Lallement stitched hairs into a silicone baby’s skull — the latest creation from a studio specialized in making ultra-realistic infants for the film and TV industries.
Founded in 2008 and based in a north Paris suburb, Cinebebe produces props that can take more than six weeks of crafting before they are sent to production sets.
“It’s mohair, it comes from the Angora goat. It’s finer than adult hair, so it imitates baby hair very well,” Lallement said as she carefully inserted each strand.
Photo: AFP
At one point, she spotted a problem.
“There are two hairs in the same follicle, that won’t work,” she said before using tweezers to correct the mistake.
Her latest work is set to be used in a film shoot in England, said Justine Ray Le Solliec, who comanages the special effects workshop.
Photo: AFP
With slightly red cheeks, tiny veins under the eyelids, skin folds and pores, it is hard to tell the difference from a real child.
“You can expect to pay around 700 euros [US$723.25] to rent a baby for a day’s shoot and between 9,000 euros and 15,000 euros to buy one, depending on the time required to make it,” Ray Le Solliec said.
From 26-week premature infants to 18-month-old toddlers, Cinebebe’s miniature mannequins are used in about 100 productions every year, mostly in France and Europe.
Photo: AFP
Their work has been glimpsed in hit Netflix series Emily in Paris, as well as last year’s blockbuster French movie The Count of Monte Cristo. The company uses silicone castings for babies, but also creates pregnant bellies, breasts, placentas, fetuses, umbilical cords and even life-sized pelvis models that are used for birth scenes.
“In France, regulations prohibit newborns under three months old from participating in film shoots,” Ray Le Solliec said.
“For infants aged three months to three years, filming time is limited to one hour per day, which can be challenging when multiple scenes involve children,” she said.
Beyond regulations, their business has accelerated since the COVID-19 lockdowns in 2020 and 2021.
“It helped us because babies were not allowed on set during that period,” Ray Le Solliec said.
Since the end of the pandemic, their revenue has doubled every year, although there was a “slight slowdown” last year compared with 2023, with a growth rate of 35 percent. The next step is expanding internationally, with a London office planned for this year.
Their production goal is to develop babies with open eyes as well as larger babies for stunt scenes.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told