The IMF’s executive board on Friday approved a US$1.1 billion disbursement to Ukraine as part of an ongoing loan program to provide budget support.
The approval bolsters Ukraine as it faces continued Russian attacks, and comes just more than a month after staff at the IMF completed the sixth review of an existing four-year program worth about US$15.5 billion.
“Russia’s war in Ukraine continues to take a devastating social and economic toll on Ukraine,” IMF managing director Kristalina Georgieva said in a statement announcing the decision.
Photo: Reuters
“Despite the war, macroeconomic stability is being preserved through skillful policymaking by the Ukrainian authorities as well as substantial external support,” she said.
Friday’s payout brings the total disbursed under the program since it was signed in March last year to about US$9.8 billion, according to the IMF.
“I am grateful to the team of the International Monetary Fund for their consistent assistance to our country in difficult times,” Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal wrote in a message on his Telegram account.
Friday’s board approval means Kyiv would receive the money before US president-elect Donald Trump takes office on Jan. 20.
Trump has repeatedly criticized US spending on the war and pledged to end the conflict quickly, raising concern among US allies that Ukraine might have to concede significant amounts of its territory to Russia.
Ukraine’s economy “has remained resilient ... although risks are tilted to the downside due to headwinds from attacks on energy infrastructure and a tight labor market,” Georgieva said.
“Preparedness and contingency planning are key to enable appropriate policy action should risks materialize,” she added.
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding