Israel on Wednesday said that it does not want war in Lebanon, but could send its neighbor “back to the Stone Age.”
The border between the two countries has seen daily exchanges of fire between Israeli forces and Hezbollah militants since the attack on Israel by Hezbollah’s ally Hamas on Oct. 7 last year, which triggered the war in Gaza.
Fears those exchanges could escalate have grown in the past few weeks as cross-border attacks intensified and after Israel revealed it had approved plans for a Lebanon offensive, prompting new threats from Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah.
Photo: EPA-EFE
Israeli Minister of Defense Yoav Gallant said during a visit to Washington that his country could “take Lebanon back to the Stone Age, but we don’t want to do it.”
“We do not want war, but we are preparing for every scenario,” Gallant told reporters. “Hezbollah understands very well that we can inflict massive damage in Lebanon if a war is launched.”
Israel’s allies, including the US, have been keen to avoid such an eventuality.
A US official said that Washington was engaged in “fairly intensive conversations” with Israel, Lebanon and other actors, and believed that no side sought a “major escalation.”
US Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin on Tuesday told Gallant that another war with Hezbollah could have “terrible consequences for the Middle East” and urged a diplomatic solution.
UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Martin Griffiths on Wednesday told reporters in Geneva that Lebanon was “the flashpoint beyond all flashpoints.”
“It’s beyond planning. It’s potentially apocalyptic,” Griffiths said.
A war involving Lebanon “will draw in Syria ... it will draw in others,” he added. “It’s very alarming.”
Lebanon’s national news agency reported about 10 Israeli strikes on Wednesday on areas near the border, including one at about 10pm that destroyed a building in Nabatiyeh, wounding five people.
There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military on the strike.
Hezbollah on Wednesday claimed six attacks against Israeli military positions in the border region.
As Israel’s war against Hamas in the Gaza Strip nears its 10th month, bombardments in the Palestinian territory appeared to ease after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the “intense phase” of Gaza operations was winding down.
Some of those forces would likely then be redeployed to the Lebanese border, but “primarily for defensive purposes,” Netanyahu said.
US officials including Secretary of State Antony Blinken have voiced hope that a ceasefire in Gaza could lead to a reduction in hostilities on the Lebanese border as well.
During the night from Wednesday to yesterday, witnesses reported bombings in areas around the Gaza Strip, while fighting had raged earlier on Wednesday between Israeli troops and Palestinian militants in Gaza’s southern city of Rafah.
The civil defense agency and medics said that at least four people were killed in a strike on a house in Beit Lahia, in the north.
However, agency spokesman Mahmud Basal told reporters that “there have been almost no attacks” and “the rest of the areas in the Gaza Strip are calm compared to yesterday.”
BRUSHED OFF: An ambassador to Australia previously said that Beijing does not see a reason to apologize for its naval exercises and military maneuvers in international areas China set off alarm bells in New Zealand when it dispatched powerful warships on unprecedented missions in the South Pacific without explanation, military documents showed. Beijing has spent years expanding its reach in the southern Pacific Ocean, courting island nations with new hospitals, freshly paved roads and generous offers of climate aid. However, these diplomatic efforts have increasingly been accompanied by more overt displays of military power. Three Chinese warships sailed the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand in February, the first time such a task group had been sighted in those waters. “We have never seen vessels with this capability
A Japanese city would urge all smartphone users to limit screen time to two hours a day outside work or school under a proposed ordinance that includes no penalties. The limit — which would be recommended for all residents in Toyoake City — would not be binding and there would be no penalties incurred for higher usage, the draft ordinance showed. The proposal aims “to prevent excessive use of devices causing physical and mental health issues... including sleep problems,” Mayor Masafumi Koki said yesterday. The draft urges elementary-school students to avoid smartphones after 9pm, and junior-high students and older are advised not
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying