Police on Tuesday arrested former Polish minister of the interior Mariusz Kaminski and former deputy minister of the interior Maciej Wasik, who had taken refuge in the palace of Polish President Andrzej Duda, in an escalation of a standoff between the new and previous governments.
Duda welcomed the members of the former ruling party into the presidential palace as police went to their homes to arrest them.
Polish media reported that the men were arrested inside the palace.
Photo: Reuters
Warsaw police gave no details, saying only that the arrest was “in accordance with the court order.”
The events escalated a dispute between the new government, led by Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, and the Law and Justice Party, which governed Poland for eight years until last month following its defeat in a general election in October.
Duda is closely aligned with Law and Justice and is making it clear that he will oppose Tusk’s agenda.
Duda’s second and final term runs until the middle of 2025.
Tusk accused the president of going along with actions by Law and Justice to create chaos and instability after its electoral defeat, saying that Duda “must stop this spectacle, which is leading to a very dangerous situation.”
The prime minister said that the president was obstructing justice by giving the wanted men refuge.
At a news conference, he read out a section of the penal code that he alleged Duda had contravened, which carries a prison term from three months to five years.
“I just want the president to be aware of what his political friends have tricked him into,” Tusk said.
Kaminski and Wasik came out of the palace briefly to speak to journalists hours before their arrest.
“We are not hiding,” Kaminski said. “We are currently with the president of the Republic of Poland until evil loses.”
Kaminski and Wasik were convicted of abuse of power for actions taken in 2007, when they served in an earlier Law and Justice-led government.
Duda in 2015 pardoned them.
In June, Poland’s Supreme Court overturned the pardons and ordered a retrial.
Kaminski and Wasik were sentenced last month to two years in prison.
A court on Monday issued orders for police to arrest them and deliver them to prison.
They insist that they are innocent, and Duda said that the pardons remain valid.
On Tuesday, Duda invited Kaminski and Wasik to his palace for a ceremony where he appointed two officials who had worked for them as his new advisers.
His office posted a photograph of him posing with all four.
Earilier in the day, parliamentary speaker Szymon Holownia postponed a planned session of the Sejm, the lower house of parliament, which had been scheduled to start yesterday, until next week.
Kaminski and Wasik, who were re-elected as lawmakers in October, had said they wanted to take part in the session, even though Holownia and others insist that their guilty sentences strip them of their parliamentary mandates.
Holownia said the situation had created a “deep constitutional crisis ... that does not guarantee that the Sejm’s deliberations this week would be peaceful.”
Kaminski is a former head of the Central Anticorruption Bureau who was convicted along with Wasik and two others of abusing their power for creating a provocation in a sting operation seeking to frame their targets.
That scandal contributed to the collapse of Law and Justice’s first government in 2007.
Tusk’s allies welcomed the arrests, saying they marked a return to officials being held accountable.
“Let this be a warning to politicians for the next generation,” Polish Minister of Foreign Affairs Radek Sikorski wrote on social media.
Former Polish prime minister Mateusz Morawiecki was among Law and Justice officials who voiced outrage, describing the arrested men as “political prisoners.”
Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr has fired his national police chief, who gained attention for leading the separate arrests of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte on orders of the International Criminal Court and televangelist Apollo Carreon Quiboloy, who is on the FBI’s most-wanted list for alleged child sex trafficking. Philippine Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin did not cite a reason for the removal of General Nicolas Torre as head of the 232,000-member national police force, a position he was appointed to by Marcos in May and which he would have held until 2027. He was replaced by another senior police general, Jose
STILL AFLOAT: Satellite images show that a Chinese ship damaged in a collision earlier this month was under repair on Hainan, but Beijing has not commented on the incident Australia, Canada and the Philippines on Wednesday deployed three warships and aircraft for drills against simulated aerial threats off a disputed South China Sea shoal where Chinese forces have used risky maneuvers to try to drive away Manila’s aircraft and ships. The Philippine military said the naval drills east of Scarborough Shoal (Huangyan Island, 黃岩島) were concluded safely, and it did not mention any encounter with China’s coast guard, navy or suspected militia ships, which have been closely guarding the uninhabited fishing atoll off northwestern Philippines for years. Chinese officials did not immediately issue any comment on the naval drills, but they
POWER CONFLICT: The US president threatened to deploy National Guards in Baltimore. US media reports said he is also planning to station troops in Chicago US President Donald Trump on Sunday threatened to deploy National Guard troops to yet another Democratic stronghold, the Maryland city of Baltimore, as he seeks to expand his crackdown on crime and immigration. The Republican’s latest online rant about an “out of control, crime-ridden” city comes as Democratic state leaders — including Maryland Governor Wes Moore — line up to berate Trump on a high-profile political stage. Trump this month deployed the National Guard to the streets of Washington, in a widely criticized show of force the president said amounts to a federal takeover of US capital policing. The Guard began carrying
Ukrainian drone attacks overnight on several Russian power and energy facilities forced capacity reduction at the Kursk Nuclear Power Plant and set a fuel export terminal in Ust-Luga on fire, Russian officials said yesterday. A drone attack on the Kursk nuclear plant, not far from the border with Ukraine, damaged an auxiliary transformer and led to 50 percent reduction in the operating capacity at unit three of the plant, the plant’s press service said. There were no injuries and a fire sparked by the attack was promptly extinguished, the plant said. Radiation levels at the site and in the surrounding