The government of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday defeated a no-confidence motion in parliament after a fiery speech by Modi at the climax of a three-day debate.
Opposition lawmakers — who had brought the motion over months of ethnic violence in Manipur state — walked out of the chamber, prompting a furious rebuke from the prime minister, with the government then winning the vote.
Broadcasters said the walkouts included Congress party leader Rahul Gandhi, who on Wednesday said Modi’s government was “set on burning the whole country.”
Photo: AFP
Modi denounced them, saying: “Those who don’t trust democracy are always ready to make a comment, but don’t have the patience to hear” the rebuttal.
They would “speak ill and run away, throw garbage and run away, spread lies and run away,” he added, to cheers from his own benches.
“This is their game and the country can’t expect much from them,” he said.
The no-confidence vote was dismissed by the government ahead of the vote as a headline-grabbing gimmick ahead of a general election next year.
Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party has a large majority in the 543-member lower house, and is widely expected to win a third term in power.
Its muscular appeals to India’s Hindu majority have proven a winning formula, and Modi has already steered it to two landslide victories over Gandhi and his Congress Party.
“I can understand the Congress Party’s problem,” Modi said. “They have been launching the same failed product again and again, but the launch fails every time.”
Gandhi, 53, is the son, grandson and great-grandson of three former Indian prime ministers.
He spearheaded the parliamentary attack on the government on Wednesday, condemning what he said was Modi’s inaction over the deadly Manipur violence.
In a speech to lawmakers, Gandhi had charged that Modi was “killing Mother India.”
The opposition leader was restored to parliament on Monday after the Supreme Court suspended his defamation conviction over past comments criticizing Modi.
Gandhi was in March sentenced to two years in prison in a cast that critics flagged as an effort to stifle political opposition.
Modi’s party has been repeatedly accused by political opponents and rights groups of fomenting religious divisions for electoral purposes.
At least 152 people have been killed in Manipur since May, according to government figures, after armed clashes broke out between the predominantly Hindu Meitei majority and the mainly Christian Kuki community.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told