Yemen’s separatist leader has vowed to keep working for an independent state in the country’s south, in his first social media post since he disappeared earlier this month after his group briefly seized swathes of territory.
Aidarous al-Zubaidi’s United Arab Emirates (UAE)-backed Southern Transitional Council (STC) forces last month captured two Yemeni provinces in an offensive that was rolled back by Saudi strikes and Riyadh’s allied forces on the ground.
Al-Zubaidi then disappeared after he failed to board a flight to Riyadh for talks earlier this month, with Saudi Arabia accusing him of fleeing to Abu Dhabi, while supporters insisted he was still in Yemen.
Photo: AFP
“We will no longer accept any solutions that diminish our rights or impose an unacceptable reality upon us,” al-Zubaidi said in a social media post late on Friday addressed to his supporters.
His STC forces at one point essentially dominated most of the formerly independent state of South Yemen, which existed from 1967 to 1990 and which they have sought to reinstate.
The takeover had sparked tensions between Gulf allies Saudi Arabia and the UAE, who backed rival sides of Yemen’s government.
“I pledge to you... that we will continue together until we achieve the desired national goal,” al-Zubaidi said. “With your determination, we will prevail. With your unity, the South will be protected, and with your will, the future state will be established.”
Separatist supporters have continued protest and on Friday turned out in their thousands in the southern Yemeni city of Aden, backing al-Zubaidi and the STC.
They brandished photographs of al-Zubaidi, with some chanting against Rashad al-Alimi, who heads Yemen’s Saudi-backed presidential body and his Saudi backers.
One of the protesters, Hussein Mohammed al-Yafai, told reporters he had come out to “reject the illegitimate measures taken by Saudi Arabia... against the South.”
Another demonstrator, Wafi al-Arimi, said “no power on earth can force the southerners to abandon their national project.”
However, Yemen’s internationally recognized government and its presidential body have since undergone a purge.
UAE-aligned ministers and members of the presidential council have been dismissed, and al-Alimi declared that all southern factions would unite under Saudi command.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told