China extended a lockdown in districts of Chengdu and ordered more mass testing as it tries to contain a COVID-19 outbreak.
Chengdu’s central Jinjiang District would intensify lockdown measures and extend them for at least three days, authorities said in a statement yesterday.
Other districts announced a third round of COVID-19 tests.
People should return home without delay after being tested, officials said.
Chengdu’s lockdown, which started on Thursday, demonstrates the country’s commitment to its “zero COVID-19” approach despite the economic loss it has triggered.
Chengdu, China’s sixth-largest city, is the biggest to be closed off since Shanghai on June 1 ended two months of curbs on people’s movement, the effects of which are still being felt by businesses.
Demand in Shanghai for everything from restaurant dining to movies and tourism are still far below pre-lockdown levels, while some indicators show that the city is taking longer to recover than Hong Kong, where rules have been eased.
Retail sales in the city dropped 4.3 percent in June from a year earlier and rose a meager 0.3 percent in July, following an average 35 percent slump in the preceding three months starting March, when the outbreak began.
China on Saturday reported 1,673 local COVID-19 cases in total, including 1,359 asymptomatic cases.
Tibet found the most cases among all regions, with 556 new infections detected, Chinese National Health Commission data showed.
Sichuan Province, home to Chengdu, reported 186 cases, while southern technology hub Shenzhen reported 89 new cases.
Daily new infections in the coming few days are expected to remain at elevated levels, local health authorities said at a Saturday news briefing.
Beijing and Shanghai found only one case each.
Tianjin, a northern port hub near Beijing, shut dine-in services in one district after finding 22 new cases on Saturday. The city started mass testing its 13.7 million residents from yesterday.
Sichuan’s Aba County, home to about 815,000 people, yesterday implemented a lockdown, with local authorties saying that the restrictions would last for at least four days.
China on Sunday hit back at the US for expanding military access in the Philippines, saying that Washington was trying to “encircle and contain” Beijing, and is “driving a wedge” between the two Asian nations. The Chinese embassy said the US was moving to “secure its hegemony and selfish geopolitical interests.” Involving the Philippines “will seriously harm” the nation’s interest and endanger regional peace and stability, the embassy said in a statement responding to a recent interview with the US ambassador in Manila. The Philippines last month gave the US access to four more military bases under the countries’ Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement,
Less than two months ago, the first music video by South Korean girl quartet MAVE: went viral, racking up nearly 20 million views on YouTube and setting the stage for potential global success. At first glance, MAVE: looks like any other idolized K-pop band — except it only exists virtually. Its four members — Siu, Zena, Tyra and Marty — live in the metaverse, their songs, dances, interviews and even their hairstyles created by Web designers and artificial intelligence. “When I first saw MAVE:, it was a little confusing to tell whether they were humans or virtual characters,” said Han Su-min, a 19-year-old
Philippine vlogger Rosanel Demasudlay holds a heart-shaped “virginity soap” bar in front of the camera and assures her hundreds of YouTube followers that it can be safely used to “tighten” their vaginas. The video is part of a barrage of bogus and harmful medical posts on social media platforms where Filipinos rank among the world’s heaviest users. Even before COVID-19 pandemic restrictions confined people to their homes and left them fearful of seeing a doctor, many in the Philippines sought remedies online because they were cheaper and easier to access. During the pandemic, the Agence France-Presse’s (AFP) Fact Check team saw an explosion
‘JAW-DROPPING MOMENT’: Michelle Yeoh in her Oscars speech dedicated her award to her mother and said ‘all the moms in the world’ were the real superheroes Michelle Yeoh’s mother cried for joy for her “little princess” when the Malaysian performer became the first Asian to win the best actress Oscar. Yeoh’s family and two Malaysian Cabinet ministers were among the supporters roaring with joy at Yeoh’s win during a special Academy Awards viewing party in Malaysia on Monday morning. Her trophy for her performance as a laundromat owner was one of seven Oscars for Everything Everywhere All at Once, including best picture. Janet Yeoh, 84, praised the actor as intelligent and hardworking, and a filial daughter. “I so love my daughter and she has made Malaysia proud,” Janet Yeoh