The first Indian woman to pose naked for Playboy magazine says she is proud to have “pushed the envelope” in a country where public nudity in any form remains largely taboo.
Minor Bollywood actress Sherlyn Chopra, 28, will feature in a nude spread in the November issue of the magazine, although her Indian fans will be hard pushed to get hold of a copy.
Playboy, along with a host of other foreign “adult” magazines, is banned in India, which has strict obscenity laws proscribing any public act or published material deemed to be “lascivious or appealing to prurient interests.”
Photo: AFP
News that Chopra had become India’s first “Playmate” caused quite a stir, fueled by Chopra herself posting nude out-take pictures from the Playboy shoot on the microblogging site Twitter.
As well as some inevitably lascivious and prurient responses, many Indian Twitter users criticized her decision and accused her of a desperate publicity stunt to further her acting career. She had written to Playboy herself expressing an interest in posing.
In an e-mail interview, Chopra dismissed her critics and said she considered herself a pioneer for sexual freedom in India.
“I had no apprehensions and have no regrets: just feelings of pure liberation and sheer excitement,” she said of the Playboy shoot in Los Angeles.
“I’m proud to have pushed the envelope and I will not hesitate to lead my life on my terms consistently,” she said.
Chopra’s Bollywood career to date has been decidedly B-list, with bit roles in less than a dozen movies, including the 2003 box-office dud Dosti (Friendship) and a film titled Naughty Boy.
Her labelling as a “Bollywood legend” on the Playboy Web site was widely mocked in India, and Chopra admitted it was a “surreal” tag.
Indian writers, actors and artists who have sought to push the boundaries of traditional Indian morals have sometimes found themselves targeted by conservative religious groups, but Chopra appeared unworried at the prospect of a backlash.
“The moral guardians have never done any real good to me or the society at large,” she said. “So let them do whatever they are good at while I do what I truly enjoy.”
The publicity generated by Chopra’s shoot has been overshadowed in recent days by the release of what has been billed as one of India’s raunchiest mainstream movies, Jism 2 (Body 2).
Adult film star Sunny Leone plays a porn actress in the movie, which has stirred controversy with its provocative publicity material and content.
The mayor of Mumbai, Sunil Prabhu, ordered the removal of promotional posters for the film from public buses in India’s entertainment capital after a local legislator complained the image used was obscene.
Kouri Richins, a Utah mother who published a children’s book about grief after the death of her husband is to serve a life sentence for his murder without the possibility of parole, a judge ruled on Wednesday. Richins was convicted in March of aggravated murder for lacing a cocktail given to her husband, Eric Richins, with five times the lethal dose of fentanyl at their home near Park City in 2022. A jury also found her guilty of four other felonies, including insurance fraud, forgery and attempted murder for trying to poison her husband weeks earlier on Feb. 14, 2022, with a
‘PERSONAL MISTAKES’: Eileen Wang has agreed to plead guilty to the felony, which comes with a maximum sentence of 10 years in federal prison A southern California mayor has agreed to plead guilty to acting as an illegal agent for the Chinese government and has resigned from her city position, officials said on Monday. Eileen Wang (王愛琳), mayor of Arcadia, was charged last month with one count of acting in the US as an illegal agent of a foreign government. She was accused of doing the bidding of Chinese officials, such as sharing articles favorable to Beijing, without prior notification to the US government as required by law. The 58-year-old was elected in November 2022 to a five-person city council, from which the mayor is selected
DELA ROSA CASE: The whereabouts of the senator, who is wanted by the ICC, was unclear, while President Marcos faces a political test over the senate situation Philippine authorities yesterday were seeking confirmation of reports that a top politician wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) had fled, a day after gunfire rang out at the Philippine Senate where he had taken refuge fearing his arrest. Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa, the former national police chief and top enforcer of former Philippine president Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” has been under Senate protection and is wanted for crimes against humanity, the same charges Duterte is accused of. “Several sources confirmed that the senator, Senator Bato, is no longer in the Senate premises, but we are still getting confirmation,” Presidential
HELP DENIED? The US Department of State said that the Cuban leadership refuses to allow the US to provide aid to Cubans, ‘who are in desperate need of assistance’ US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Wednesday said that Cuba’s leadership must change, as Washington renewed an offer of US$100 million in aid if the communist nation agrees to cooperate. Cuba has been suffering severe economic tumult led by an energy shortage that plunged 65 percent of the country into darkness on Tuesday. Cuba’s leaders have blamed US sanctions, but Rubio, a Cuban American and critic of the government established by Fidel Castro, said the system was to blame, including corruption by the military. “It’s a broken, nonfunctional economy, and it’s impossible to change it. I wish it were different,” he told